In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New, Never Fired

hidebuyerhidebuyer Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in Ask the Experts
What is the easiest way to tell if a gun was ever fired? Advertised gun 1957 Still in box never fired..........

Comments

• burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there really is no sure way to tell. ive had new guns that i bought and shot well over a few thousand rds through them, and cleaned them up, and you couldnt tell they had been fired. someone could have easily shot it, and then cleaned it. the only way is if the original owner bought it and was selling it. even then you would still have to believe him.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Close-up, hands-on, inspection. When I was in business, use to see these guys that collected commemoratives. Going over them with a magnifying glass, looking for any wear or handling marks.

This is with the understanding that standard sporting firearms were test fired at the factory, so to say they are unfired is bull.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    every gun is proof/test fired
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's no perfect way, but I look at the face of a cylinder on a revolver for telltale flash rings and for primer marks around the firing pin hole. I combine this inspection with any wear marks and patterns.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure about the factory test fire. I have had two rifles that would not chamber a factory round, or the Go gage.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Not all of them are test fired.
    Looking at the bolt face can usually tell you if it has been fired or not..
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All (100%) of the Winchester firearms ever made were test fired at the factory... a minumum of six shots.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, the real issue is not whether they were fired or not. In all likelihood, they have been test fired. About the only exception I have heard of is some gun that was built from scratch with the intent of being a presentation gun to some esteemed VIP and covered with gold and silver inlays and engraving, obviously never intended to be fired. The issue is HOW MANY rounds have gone through the gun you are evaluating and how much wear has resulted. [:D] Anywhere from a single proof round to 10's of thousands of rounds may have gone through. But, if it shows no wear and is still tight, I'd buy it. [:D]

Just to play devil's advocate, why would anyone want a gun that had never been proofed? There is some liability exposure there. [;)][:D]
  • SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't screw up like I did. I purchased a NIB Browning Auto 5 back in 1966. It had cosmolene on it and was frapped in heavy paper. Somewhare around 1975 I decided that I probably should routinely clean and inspect it to be certain it didn't rust. With the original factory protection gone, it would be hard to prove that's it's still new. That being said, if I had never cleaned it, it might be a rust bucket by now. I guess we'll never know.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    First, do you know and trust the seller to actually know? Most guns are proofed at the factory, but some are not. Experience and a good mag glass helps. Go over the gun with the glass carefully....on revolvers you should check for a telltale timing line and flash on the chambers. Harder on a semiauto but clues are there for the trained eye. I just assume that all guns are "used" and go from there[:)]