In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage O/U .22LR/20 GA.

sammyz27sammyz27 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited April 2013 in Ask the Experts
I cant find the serial number on this gun. Is it possible it doesn't Have one? The only markings I have found on it are 5 TA 39, 24P with a circle around it, 1P. Any info would be much appreciated. I have gone to the Savage website as well, not much help. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made before 1968. Does not need a number.
  • Options
    Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get rid of that Gun..
    SEND IT TO ME
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Means it is defective.....send it here.......

Seriously, they were not required prior to GCA 68. Many of them out there, and they all seem to work fine if taken care of reasonably.
  • Options
    riley priley p Member Posts: 217 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just sold one recently. Looked high and low; even removed the butt stock too see if they tucked it on the end of the receiver or something. Nope; the early ones don't have a serial number. The above posts are correct I believe. If you've GOT to have a serial number, send it to me and I'll put one on for you. Or, get your self a Sharpie and make something up...
  • Options
    sammyz27sammyz27 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can anybody tell me what the model is called that i have. And a value for the gun. Condition is 8 out of 10, thanks
    quote:Originally posted by sammyz27
    I cant find the serial number on this gun. Is it possible it doesn't Have one? The only markings I have found on it are 5 TA 39, 24P with a circle around it, 1P. Any info would be much appreciated. I have gone to the Savage website as well, not much help. Thanks
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Prior to the 1968 GCA serial numbers were not required, so some of the "cheaper" guns had no serial numbers or were lot numbered. Below is where the model # at least on this M24 is located, as well as the lot, 100 to the bunch, a lot number followed by two XXs.

DSC_0001-2_zpse9ce55de.jpg

DSC_0002-2_zps747ff8fc.jpg
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    The Savage 24 is a great O/U shotgun. I have had one for years and it has served me well. Mine is a rather rare .357/20g...stupid luck when I bought it as I wanted something to go with my .357 Model 66 in the woods. Found out later that is is one of the rarest of the 24's. I break it down and take it on trips with me as it is very convenient along with being very accurate. They are worth a bit of dough but don't know about yours without photos.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    without seeing, harder to tell. Older one like yours
    Blue Book $300-$350. It seems to depend on moods, and region where you try to sell. They very from $225 to $300 here in MN, south farther and black hills seems to be stronger because they can use for their type of hunting and game better.(can use during small game but not deer hunting season here). New issue with plastic stocks(and butt ugly, I say) was $450 a while ago, at Gander Mountain