In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sears and roebuck J.C. Higgins .270

sammyz27sammyz27 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited April 2013 in Ask the Experts
I cant find the serial number on my hunting rifle. I know it was made in 1951 because it has a date code i believe which is 583.93. I have heard that rifles produced before the firearm act of 1968 do not have to have serial numbers. Is this true? Ant info on this rifle would be much appreciated. It was my Grandfathers. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    True, rifles made before 1968 were not required to have serial numbers.

Your JCH was built on a Belgian FN Mauser action with barrel and stock by High Standard in the US.

Frank DeHaas said that separate FN actions were proof marked in Belgium but not serial numbered. So maybe High Standard did not number Grandpa's for Sears.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an FN that apparently was purchased as an action only and then barreled and stocked. It does have a serial number but it is below the stock line. You might check that. Those Sears Mausers are great rifles.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    583.93 was the Sears internal model number. And as others have said, pre 1968, serial numbers not required for rifles and shotguns.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of those. It is marked as a 583.92, stamped as a Model 50. It has a serial number (MX 4534) marked on the right side of the receiver ring where the barrel attaches. Did you look there? Great guns. Mine is a 30-06 with a JC Higgins 4x scope.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your rifle was likely made for Sears by High Standard. The original High Standard built very nice rifles.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Model 50 does not have a visible serial number either. The receiver has the FN logo and has action made in Belgium.
  • Options
    sammyz27sammyz27 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can anybody tell me the value of my jc higgins from 1951, 8 out of 10 for condition. thanks
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sammyz27
    Can anybody tell me the value of my jc higgins from 1951, 8 out of 10 for condition. thanks

No offense but the J.C Higgins name on it has a negative effect on value. As the previous posters noted they are really outstanding hunting rifles, though. Most likely it's probably built on a FN action, that was barreled and stocked stateside. Check the auctions for the actual selling price(s) on rifles in similar condition and caliber to yours. Knock off 25% to 35% to get a ballpark for yours.