In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beretta 950B Jetfire .25 - any good?

gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in Ask the Experts
Was offered a Beretta 950B Jetfire in .25cal in very good to excellent condition as part of a trade. Know nothing about this pistol and wish to find out a relative value and any pros and cons about it. Would be used perhaps as a possible carry in limited situations (jogging,etc,), fun shooter, and dust collector. Should I consider it or forget it?
Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Comments

• Options
    pjpjrpjpjr Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had a half a dozen of these small pistols over the years and I think for what they are designed for they are great. Very reliable and even fun to shoot! As far as your trade, it depends on what the deal is. I currently own a Beretta mod 21A in 22lr. and I love it.
  • Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are well made little guns, selling in the $125-175 range.The greatest plus is that the flip-up barrel allows you to chamber a round without racking the slide, so that you can then carry it with a round in the chamber and the hammer down.On the negative side, you need to cock the hammer before you fire it, which can be awkward because the hammer is small. Also, a misfire can be problemmatic, since the 950 doesn't have an extractor and the chambered round must be removed manually.Neal
  • Options
    UnclePatUnclePat Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunpac, I have one of those little babies. When my CCW arrives, I plan to use the 950 as an "inside the pocket" carry. You're right, it wouldn't make a good primary piece, but I will carry it when I can't afford any bulges in the clothing. I use a 50gr. JHP and that little puppy packs quite a punch. But if you want to stay on target, you really need a stiff double hand hold.
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your replies. Going to shoot and look at the pistol today.
  • Options
    Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November -1
    I found a source for "original" Beretta factory walnut grips (with Beretta Medallion)for a very fair price. Less than 1/2 what they run from Beretta.They are like the grips that came with the 950 EL, the high grade.They sure make a pretty little gun out of the 950.It's probably the smallest/impressive little 25cal. I've owned.email: springcreeknra@yahoo.com[This message has been edited by Spring Creek (edited 12-31-2001).]
  • Options
    kaboomkaboom Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get it if the price is right. In the world of little pipsqueak pistols it's the best there is IMHO. I have an old 950 .22 short that is lots of fun to shoot, and if you can see the tiny little sights it's much more accurate than you would think it would be. The rimfire cartridge isn't as reliable as the centerfire .25, but as long as I stick with Remington ammo it works every time.It can ride in a nylon pocket holster in my Wranglers without being seen. I only carry it in hot weather when I can't carry anything bigger. I know it would be a miracle if it stopped a bad guy. But then nobody wants to get shot with any gun, so it is a credible threat that might make the bad guy decide to go look for an easier victim. All bad guys know even a .22 or .25 bullet anywhere in the upper body cavity means a trip to an emergency room, which means the cops are gonna be there before the doc is done fishing the bullet out. Anyway, when it's all you can conceal it's lots better than nothing.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to own a Beretta Jetfire .25 ACP but had to sell it to a friend when the military moved me to NY. It took me 18 months to get a permit after I arrived. Now that the formalities have been dispensed, does anyone have any experience with how the Taurus PT-25 compares as far as reliability and durability is concerned?
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to own a Beretta Jetfire .25 ACP but had to sell it to a friend when the military moved me to NY. It took me 18 months to get a permit after I arrived. Now that the formalities have been dispensed, does anyone have any experience with how the Taurus PT-25 compares as far as reliability and durability is concerned? How about the PT-25's DAO trigger pull?