In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What kind of 9mm should i get?

coupesixcoupesix Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in Ask the Experts
Hi, Everyone I'm new to the handgun world and need a little help I'm going to purchase one soon. I was thinking about the Walther P99 or the H&K 9mm Also the S&W SW99 I know these are good guns. Does anyone have any kind of Info. that would be helpful in choosing one of these or even another type. I don't have the luxory to go down and try these out at a gun rental/range facility I live to far out. I mainly want the gun for target practice and for some protection if need be. I want to thank you upfront on all replies.

Comments

• Options
    Wade L. StackhouseWade L. Stackhouse Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've owned quite a few handguns, and several in the 9mm caliber. Probably my favorite handgun of all is my Sig P226. It's just a great shooting gun. I think you would be happy with any of the guns you've listed, but make mine a Sig.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Can't beat a Sig! I like Glock too.
    Eat healthy, exercise, avoid smoking........Die anyway. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't heard much about the P99 or the SW99. Out of the three you mentioned, I'd go with the H&K. You'll love it and never look back. SIG's are an excellent choice as well. I'd have to say that the SIG P228 has been the sweetest 9mm pistol that I have ever had the priviledge of carrying and shooting. You'll get mixed opinions about Glocks here but I've never fired a bad one yet.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a 45cpermd
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning High Power, the original double stacker and the most elegant....not many have ever improved on a John Moses Browning design.....you didn't mention if you're looking for a single or double action?
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever you buy, I would take Smith and Wesson off of the list. They are in bed with the anti-gunners.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Depends on if you want a full size or a compact. Either way, stay away from the SW99. Any of the other Smiths are good guns, but they dropped the ball on that one. Go with any other Smith, a SIG, a Beretta, a Springfield, or an H&K. I would stay clear of Glock, the Colts are good guns, but way over priced. If you're going to spend that kind of money, get a Kimber. They are much better quality. For a low priced good quality gun, look at the Ruger.Have you considered stepping up to a .45 ACP?You won't be sorry!
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE![This message has been edited by dheffley (edited 01-01-2002).]
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having had an FFL for 24 years, I have owned most every gun on the market at one time or another...some several times. I also taught the Texas CHL training 39 times. I carry a Glock 19 or Glock 36 which ought to tell you how I feel. People who can find nothing else for which to knock the Glock will complain that it has no external safety. Ask them where the external safety is on a double-action revolver, a single-action revolver, or a double-action only semi-auto.Check the cops you see in public places; one-third to one-half will be carrying Glocks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ref44,I don't know about anyone else, but I owned a Glock, and it was JUNK! Three trips back for repairs is a BAD record in my book. I'm glad you like yours, but as you know, most LEO's just carry their guns. Few clean them, and less shoot them except to qualify. Most competition shooters are not LEO's or instructors.I'm sorry, but I want a gun that will handle 500 round a month until it worn out. Glock's can't do it.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    William81,It was a Glock 21 in .45 ACP. It was sent back to Glock by the dealer 3 times for repairs. First time was to replace the barrel due to chamber damage. Two months later, it went back for a cracked frame. The work order said "weld repair frame". How do you "weld" plastic? Within 3 months it went back due to misfire problems. When it came back, I never fired it again. It was traded in on a Beretta 96. 10 times the gun, but 10 times the weight. If I had to carry a gun in the rain like a Seattle LEO, I would probably carry a Glock, or some other plastic gun. They are not very durable in my opinion. I shoot competition, and we've all tried Glocks at one time or another. We ALL have had the same durability problems. The only Glocks you see in competition are in "Glock Only" matches. They can't win in open competition, and they won't let any other gun challenge them in theirs. Doesn't speak well for Glock.Glocks also have the highest incidence of blowups of any gun on the market. Even the old Raven's. The 30 to 50 percent of LEO's that carry Glocks are not the expert LEO's or the ones who shoot in competition. Most experienced LEO's will recommend another brand of gun to a rookie. There are exceptions, I'm sure. But, for the most part, they are not held in high regard by professionals.I notice there are those that love Glocks, and those that hate them. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground. I don't hate them, I just don't trust them, and I think they are overrated. Mainly by the younger folks who don't know better.These statements are my OPINION. I developed them from my personal experiences and what I've observed. I give anyone leave to disagree with me. That's their right! That's also why they make Coke and Dr. Pepper!
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry if I went on about it. I'm just still a little bitter that I spent so much money on a low quality gun. But you are right. Live and learn. Maybe I won't do it again.
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    Forget the Walther/SW; neither will outshoot or outlast an HK USP.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe it was a Glock 17 through which some gun scribe put several hundred thousand rounds of ammo without a failure.But I agree that there are brands out there to suit all tastes. I also agree that I would skip the SW99 despite being a lover of the older S&W revolvers. Isn't the Walther P99 partially made by S&W? The guns sure look a lot alike.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe it was a Glock 17 through which some gun scribe put several hundred thousand rounds of ammo without a failure.But I agree that there are brands out there to suit all tastes. I also agree that I would skip the SW99 despite being a lover of the older S&W revolvers. Isn't the Walther P99 partially made by S&W? The guns sure look a lot alike.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    all of the aboved mentioned handguns are good weapons, but the bottom line is use and what you want to spend. i own a smith 5906, shoots great but weighs a ton, my hy power is comfortable, concealable, and is reliable. you have to remember, you are the one shooting it, and it is your wallet buying it
  • Options
    duster68duster68 Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the above post recommending the 5900 series from Smith and Wesson. There are so many police trade-in's floating around that one of these can be had for a fraction of retail. I've seen stainless models in very good condition selling for under $280. These are awesome guns! Lots of high-cap clips available for cheap, extremely reliable, inexpensive. I've got an old model 59 that I prefer over my Glock 17. It fits my hand better, points more naturally. No surprise that I shoot it better. I know people love dissing S&W for it's politics and the Sigma, but there was once a time when its autoloaders were the choice of most police departments around the country. Give 'em a look.
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear coupesix,As always you will get good advice and a few opinions here. I'll throw in my .02 worth based on your statements that you are new to handguns and the need for some personal protection. If you are not dead set on a 9mm explore a .45 ACP as an alternative. The .45 is more expensive to shoot but a bunch of fun. Look at the Ruger P-90 or P-97, a little big but reliable, durable and you will have a choice of a light weight metal alloy or a plastic receiver.Regardless of other opinions on appearance, the KP-90 with Houge soft grips is a right smart looking handgun to many. Accuracy is good on most, right out of the box. Ruger also has the same style in 9mm, (P-89) I think. First gun + quality firearm + reasonable accuracy + reliability + factory service = RUGER.Promise yourself that you will buy a Kimber as soon as the Ruger is worn out. I'll bet you have the Kimber well before the Ruger is worn out. Robin
    Worry is the interest humans pay on the debt of miscalculation.