In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning 22 auto rifle

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a Browning Belgium 22 auto gallery special (shorts only) that is in need of a reblue. I was with my dad when he bought it for $35 with the barrel mount and scope. Will Browning reblue this gun or should I have a gunsmith do it? What will be the cost? I want to restore it back to new so I can pass it on like it was passed to me. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I bought a Browning 22 auto rifle today. It has the rear wheel sight and was made in Belgium. The serial number is found at the hole where the magazine tube goes in the rear of the stock. It is T71232. There isn't a serial number anywhere on the receiver. I believe it was made in 1960. The receiver is grooved for tip-off ring mounts. I didn't know that the older 22 autos had this feature. Do any of you own, or have you seen a Browning 22 auto made prior to 1961 with a grooved receiver? When did they quit drilling and tapping for a scope base and switched to grooves? Thanks for any information.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the value of a Browning 22 auto rifle in unfired condition. Recent manufacture from Japan.
  • Options
    RusticwaterRusticwater Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can call Browning at 800-782-4440 and ask them. Their website also has a link on parts and service for obsolete firearms:

http://browning.com/services/obsolete/obsolete.htm
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you really want to restore it to "as new", there's only one choice: Doug Turnbull Restoration, Inc. You can write to him at turnbullrest@mindspring.com.

Of course, it won't be cheap.

You get what you pay for, sometimes less.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will check out both places ..regardless of the cost it was dads gun and sometimes I got to shoot "the Browning" when I was young. I got the gun when he died and will put it back to factory as close as possible so I can pass it on. It is around 45 years old and the wood is 95%. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    faldumfaldum Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to consider leaving it as it is.
    Refinishing will erase all tangible evidence of the good times
    the Browning has provided to two generations.
    Each little nick and ding could probably tell its own
    story.
    Instead of passing on a legacy that has been cared for and cherished,
    you may end up with a sterile shadow of what once was good.
    Good luck either way.
    Faldum
  • Options
    MballisticMballistic Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Art's Gun & Sport Shop is THE prmier Browning docHe is also a board menmber of the Browning Collectors Association.
    1-636-944-3630
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I think that faldum has it right .I stand to inherit a browning o/u lightning from my father. I would not erase a scratch, blemish or blueing wear mark. He put them all there.

If it ain't broke-it ain't ours!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I emailed Doug Turnbull and he doesn't do the Browning 22's. Browning will do it for $100.00 plus $40 hour for any polishing. Will take 3-6 weeks. The gun will go to Browning at the start of the year. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree 100% with faldum and searcher, if the gun has been reasonably well cared for refinishing it would ruin the sentimental value.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have plenty of sentimental memories of this gun and my dad hunting together. I also have his Belgium A-5 round knob vent rib 20 guage. S&W k-22 Masterpiece in which I was with him in 1962 that is 99% in the blue box. It was my fault the 22 got very minor rust on the receiver. The blueing was 25% gone anyway, so off to Browning it goes.
  • Options
    bbq05bbq05 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No way...Browning. Go to Art's in Hillsboro, MO.

America...Bless God.