In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 742 . Hard decision. Suggestions?

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I bought a Remington 742 in .308 at a pawn shop today that I'd had on lay-away for a while. I've read all the negative posts on this gun and had decided to remove the scope (Redfield 6X) for my Remington 660 in 6mm, and then sell the rifle after I test fired it. A good plan as I only have $225 in the outfit. The problem is this gun is almost perfect, not a scratch anywhere, no bluing wear, it could pass as a new gun. I doubt if even a box of shells has been shot through it, maybe none. I cleaned the action with Q-tips, (no soot at all) and lubed it well with Breakfree. It's slick and smooth as can be. I have to make a decision soon, as deer season opens in 2 weeks and I can sell it easily at a gun show next Saturday, but should I sell it? It is the deluxe model with basketweave checkering, and has a stepped receiver and see-through mounts, no sling or studs to spoil the stock lines or create wear at the forearm. Would you keep it or sell it? What would it be worth without the scope? If I were to sell it, it would be without the Redfield. I thought I might shoot it tomorrow just to see how it groups and feeds. That might help me decide. Suggestions?

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau

Comments

• Options
    calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you got a good buy on the gun. It won't be worth much to resell so personally i would hunt with it and enjoy having a nice gun at a low price. Keep it clean and it could be a good hunting rifle for many years in spite of their bad reputation i love the way they feel.
  • Options
    scottavtscottavt Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you ever decide to sell that 6mm let me know. I LOVE my m77 6mm best damn gun ive ever owned
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    It sounds like you like the rifle. My dad has had a M740 (virtually the same rifle) since 1956. He hasn't shot it very much but it works fine. I think those rifles that you read about jamming are either that way from the start, or develop problems as a result of wear on the rails. If you shoot a few magazines through it and it functions properly it would be neither the first example nor aparently worn enough to be the second example- so if that's the case, I'd keep it and not worry that wear affects it more so than other rifles, as long as I didn't intend to shoot it several thousand times.
  • Options
    slugoslugo Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In North Florida it would go for as much as 375-400. I had one in 30-06 and never had any problems with it. I don;t need another gun but I would certainly pay what you paid for one in the condition you describe without the scope so the scope is a bonus. you did well
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I removed the Redfield scope to put on another gun and replaced it with an old Swift 3-9. I sighted in at my 80 yd. range with NATO surplus ball ammo. Next I fired 2 clips (8 rds) and checked my group. Just slightly over 1 inch. No misfires or malfunctions. I've decided to keep it as a back-up and loaner for deer hunting, plus am buying four 10 round Eagle clear poly magazines. This 742 can then be a "politically correct" assault rifle if needed. Actually, it won't be an assault rifle of course, but would still make a good defensive weapon. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.