In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

decisions decisions...

oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
probably get 100 different oppinions on this but here goes...
found a n.i.b. small ring mauser action
think i have a line on a doubel set trigger group for same
currently trying to locate a blank that suits me for the stock
SERIOUSLY thinking .270 as it will be for varmint, possibly deer all under 200 yd, maybe a bench shoot at the club once in a while, which are also 100-200 yd target
ideas on twist rate/length for this set-up?

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,975 ******
    edited November -1
    "found a n.i.b. small ring mauser action".........A lot depends on the action itself. Most s.r. mauser actions work best with med. lenght cartidges (.243/.257/260/7mm08/.308 ect.). Almoist any of which will meet your requirements. the .270 would be a bit much for the action and intended use.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oldemagics,

I'm inclined to agree with Mike that that action would be better suited to a mid-length cartridge. Strength-wise I don't think it would be any problem chambering it for a .270. However, it would be like Remington putting the .308 and 7mm-08 in their short action that may fit the case but not the case and bullet. A .270 in that intermediate action will have to be fed slipping one end of the case in before the other. Whereas, a .243/.260 and even a 7mm-08 seated long would fit straight in. Any of the normally seated Mauser based cases would work as well as that action was designed around the 7mm Mauser. Those would be the 6mm Rem/.257 Rob/6.5x55/6.5x57/7x57/8x57.

Good luck with this build. There is nothing like a rifle made right and the way you like it.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would build me another .257 Bob.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course small ring Mauser does not necessarily equate to short action. I have a Husqvarna in .270 that is a small ring standard length action and also a Spandau in .35 Whelen that's small ring standard length. The magazine length of a standard length Mauser is 3.32 While the "short" is 3.225. If it's the standard length action, it will easily accept the .270 cartridge. (One of my favorites, by the way.) If it's the short, I'd recommend the 7x57; as sandwarrior said, that's the cartridge the short action was designed for.

The standard twist for the .270 is 1-10 and it works well in my rifles for bullets from the 90 gr. Sierra HP to the 170 gr. Speer RN.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go 260 Remington or 6.5x55. I would put a 1 in 8 twist 24 inch barrel in it...will stabalize the heavier bullets better. Although a 1 in 10 would work for your purposes as listed with 100 to 140 grain bullets. For a maker I say Shilin or Walther.

That 260 will do everything a 270 will...plus some, and shoot just as flat, with less recoil.

Best
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its a standard length action, not the short bolt
    had been on the fence for a while between the .270 and .308, but as i seem to do better comping for drop than windage decided on the .270 for a bit less drift
    the 6.5 was in the running also, but looking at "off the shelf" ballistics it seemed like i would have to wildcat to get the same as the .270
    all still subject to change til i scrape up the $$ to order the parts...[;)]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldemagics
    its a standard length action, not the short bolt
    had been on the fence for a while between the .270 and .308, but as i seem to do better comping for drop than windage decided on the .270 for a bit less drift
    the 6.5 was in the running also, but looking at "off the shelf" ballistics it seemed like i would have to wildcat to get the same as the .270
    all still subject to change til i scrape up the $$ to order the parts...[;)]

Quit looking at the muzzle velocity and energy figures! Take a look further out. With a 120 grain ballistic tip in the 260 Remington or 6.5x55, starting at 3000 FPS, it will shoot farther, flatter, and hit harder than the 270 Winchester. There is a reason that the 6.5's are gradually replacing the 30's in 600 and 1000 yard competitions. Those .277 diameter bullets just do not have the ballistic qualities to compare. Those 6.5's do all of that while touching the shoulder like a 243.

Don't get me wrong, I love all of my calibers, but as a general rule, the further down in diameter you go, the less efficient they are...except for the 6.5's, and VLD's.

Best
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Yep I would chamber it in 6.5 Swede. They have taken so much big game in Scandinavia its scary.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the 6.5 x 55 Swede ... I have a Carl Gustav 1894M carbine and she's a shooter.

Good luck!