In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Weatherby VanGuard Question

375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
A few weeks ago I bought a Vanguard Carbine chambered in 223 Rem.
The rifle shoots just dandy with 25.3 gr. of H-335 and Noslers 55 gr Ballistic tip [:p]
This is my 1st bolt action rifle chambered for the 223 , so all of my loadings before this where for my Bushmaster , loading FMJ bullets.
Now I have been doing some research in all of my loading manuals , and looking at other loads and bullets to use , and the books claim that 1 in 12 twist is OK for the lighter bullets 40 gr up to 55 gr , but for the hevyer bullets like 70 gr they say a 1 in 7 or 1 in 9 twist is needed .
Anyway to make a long story short , does anyone know what the twist rate on this rifle would be ?
Rifle in link is like the same one I bought . Checked Weatherby's web site but couldn't find anything .

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=127830157

Thank Ya Kindly for any info.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Vanguard is made by Howa, in Japan, and the Howa is imported and sold as the Howa 1500 by Legacy Sports. You might ask them the twist rate on it: http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/index.html
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Vanguard 223 does not seem to like anything heavier than 60 grains. I've tried some 69 grain hpbt which just wasted good ammo. The best factory load in it is a 50 grain plastic tipped bullet. I haven't loaded any tipped bullets for it yet but it is only mediocre with the 55 soft points from 3 different makers. I was hoping the rifle was at least as good as my daughter's Savage but so far it hasn't happened that way.
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    375 H&H,

www.weatherby.com/rifles/vanguard/synthetic

Per their web page, your twist should be 1 in 12

Jim
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loaded 55 gr Hornady S.P.S.X
    50 and 40 gr Seirra BlitzKings
    and the 55 gr Ballistic tips
    All with Hogdon H-335
    But so far only shot the Ballistic tips . They shot at or slightly over 1" @ 100 yards . Still looking for a load that the rifle likes, would like to see it group at or under 1" @ 100 .

Just got off the phone with Weatherby , they say 1 in 12 twist .

Thanks fellas .
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Put a ramrod with a patch into the muzzle all the way. Pull out 2 inches., pullout slowly until the handle has made a full revolution and measure the newly exposed ramrod.

Sage 1
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the velocities that will be attained with the 70 grainer's, you will need a 1 in 8 twist to stabalize that bullet. With a 1 in 12(have you actually measured your rifle's twist using a cleaning rod, cleaning jag with tight patch, and a ruler?), that rifle should shoot the 40-50 grainer's really well.

Best
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    They are 1 in 12 twist barrels. My ex roommie has one. It shoots anything from 40-55 grain really well. However 50-55 gr bullets yield the best 100 yard accuracy for him.
  • Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not hesitate to try the 40 grain Hornady V-Maxes, and other 40 or so weights from Sierra, Nosler, and others. It seems that many shooters like the 55s and even heavier in the .223. However, some rifles like the lighter bullets, especially with the standard 1 in 12 twist.

I recently bought some Fiocchi 40 grain V-Maxes at Cabela's, and my Tikka 595 in .223 seems to like them quite well. I put them on paper, and was getting .3 or .4 inches at 50, which would be under 1.0 MOA or so.