In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 rim in moon clips options?

golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
what is this used for ? 45 colt? or a 45 acp revolver

Comments

• Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    45 rim is used in a 45acp revolver that usually uses moon clips. With the rim, there is no longer a need for the clips, so it works like a revolver in a caliber like 38 special, 44 magnum, etc.
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    golferboy426,

Your question is rather vague as to what you really want to know, so please bear with me while I apply the 'shotgun' approach to answering.

Most common revolvers encountered in the 45 ACP (45 auto) are the Colt Model 1917 & the Smith & Wesson Model 1917. Both were produced for gov. contracts in fairly large numbers prior to WW II and have now found their way to private hands via surplus sales.

The 45 ACP (45 auto) uses a rimless case that headspaces on the forward edge of the case mouth. [ACP stands for Automatic Colt Pistol & is entirely different from the round known as 45 Colt or sometimes called 45 Long Colt]. A rimless case in a revolver has to be punched out 1 at a time due to the lack of a rim. Half moon clips were devised to speed loading & ejection by grouping 3 cases together & the clip serves to give a bearing surface in the absence of the rim.

45 Auto Rim cases are made with a thick rim that measures the same thickness as the clip & rim combined for use in revolvers, thus eliminating the need for clips.

Hope this is a help, Jim
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    Your question is a little confusing. "45 rim in moon clips options".
    The 45 ACP in a moon clip fits in the cylinder the same as the 45 auto rim, which doesn't need the moon clip as it already has a rim.
    These moons come in full, half and third moon - 6, 3 and 2 rounds each.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chances are that if you were able to fit the 45 Auto Rim in a moon clip, it would do two things.

1. destroy the clip or casing.

2. you most likely will not be able to close the cylinder, as the combined thickness of the rim and clip would not fit between the cylinder and recoil shield.

Got a picture of what you are talking about?

Best
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are a few thousand words on the subject:

.45 Auto rim cartridges:
    45%20Auto%20Rim.JPG
    32416.jpg

.45 ACP, with moon clips, for Smith and Wesson model 1917 revolver:
    M%201917%20Full%20Moon%20Clips.jpg
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭