In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ithaca Mod.37 Featherweight 12 Ga.

capnrmcapnrm Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hi Guys,
Just purchased one of these on the Auction,received the gun and the slide opens but will not close, I know nothing about these Ithaca's can anyone help ? I will take it to the gunsmith, but i don't want to get took if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Guys !

Having trouble locating front sling swivel for Mod 37 DeerSlayer gun produced in 1970. can anyone help ? Check all mjor distributers no luck keep send Uncle Mike's claiming to fit but doesn't.

Thanks,
    Ron
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    look for a slide release button
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got my first one of these in 1952 (I still have it along with 7 or 8 others). My newest one was made in 1982 and they have been changed some since then but I might be able to help if you can be more descriptive of the problem. I don't understand "will not close". Is the slide stuck or will not lock or???
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I thought the slide release opened the bolt [:D]
    Pretty hard to tell what the problem is with out more info..
    A gunsmith is your best bet and shouldn't cost more than
    $45.00 to strip it down and give it a good deep cleaning
    and fix the problem, no matter what it is...
    They are a very well built shotgun and don't have really bad problems....
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    I am no Ithaca guy but that sounds like a bind like the action bar or bars skiped out.
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First remove the barrel. Just unscrew the cap on the magazine tube. The barrel should slide out of the receiver. Try working the slide. If it works you may have a barrel replacement that wasn't fitted properly. If the bolt will still not close something is bent, broken or missing.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "Just unscrew the cap on the magazine tube. The barrel should slide out of the receiver."...........actualy you have to screw the cap 'in' and then twist the barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HI,
    And Thanks for getting back the slide opens (pulled back to eject,but won't close.quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    I got my first one of these in 1952 (I still have it along with 7 or 8 others). My newest one was made in 1982 and they have been changed some since then but I might be able to help if you can be more descriptive of the problem. I don't understand "will not close". Is the slide stuck or will not lock or???
  • Options
    makindumakindu Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cap, with the barrel removed, is the forend still 'stuck' in the rearward position? I'm betting on Robin's line of thought. Something got re-assembled improperly, or something is bent, or binding. If you can't figure out how to remove the barrel, you best take the gun to a 'smith. Is the shell ejector (metal two pronged fork-like part) below the bottom of the receiver when the forend gets 'stuck'? I'm just trying to get a better visual, because I really think something is jambing up inside the receiver.