In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

German Drilling Help !! - I Bought It!! - Edit #2

MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
Sorry guys, not much to go on, Emil Kerner 3 barrel drilling, 16 x 16 x ? 9.3x72R ?, Krupp steel barrels, deep relief game scene engraved receiver, cartridge trap in butt also heavily engraved, remote flip up rear sight, checkered moderately figured walnut stock & forearm, checkered steel buttplate, bores good, fireable condition, still a fair amount of bluing w/ patina in some areas, stocks good, really a good condition rifle. I can grab this for < $1000, but will not be able to take pics or make a more detailed exam. Really a lot of heavy engraving on this one. Thoughts?? Thanks, Greg

Thanks for the advice, Guys, I bought it. Caliber is 8x72R. Dated 3/26. Really nice original condition, most bluing and wood finish present. Bores are like mirrors. Very tight. I am going to shoot this, wish me luck. Greg

Watertable marks indicate "16", but no reference to length. I was thinking I would take apart a few stray paper 2-9/16" paper shells to get some hulls for reloading. I need to slug the bore, my digital caliper is calling the groove diameter .317". I will post in the "want ads" forum for some 8 or 9 x 72R brass, and dies. Being as this Drilling looks to be intended as a Deer / Stag harvester (based on engraved images), would the intent of the shotgun barrels have been buckshot??? Greg

Comments

• Options
    garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    Grab it. Seldom seen are drillings of any maker for under $1000.00. Look at the completed auctions. Granted, there were no Kerners sold in the last 90 days but if it is of even average quality I do not see how you could go wrong.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If this is a Hammerless type drilling without external hammers and Krupp steel not damascus barreles then less then $1000.00 sounds like a good buy to me of course pictures would be a better way of getting a closer idea of value. Be aware the 9.3 x72 is not a high velocity/high powered/ high pressure cartridge. ok for small to medium size Whitetail but IMHO not suited for anything bigger. Do you see 65 / 70 / 76 anywhere on the water table or barrels 70 would be for 2&3/4 inch shells.

EDIT I don't think the Germans used buck shot sorry guys but I equate buck shot with RED NECKS and if anything German hunters are more a bunch of well to do upper crust. [:I]
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    8x72R will be a Handloading Adventure. At least you can buy 9.3x72R if you don't mind paying the price, but the 8mm version will take some work and investment.

Do check the shotgun chambers. If not marked for length they are probably 65mm = 2 9/16". Shells are available, but not at Walmart.
  • Options
    1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will probably have better luck finding 2-1/2" shells for that gun, rather than 2-9/16" (should work just fine). I recently picked up an old Winchester 16ga. and the 2-1/2" were much easier to find for me.
    I found out that Winchester changed from 2-9/16 to 2-3/4 chambers right around the time your gun was built.