In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Name that pistol: Pompeya .32 auto

dondonedondone Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a .32 auto with the following logo on the slide:

"PISTOLET AUTOMATIQUE "POMPEYA" CAL 7,65 MOD. 1914"

The pistol is smaller overall than your typical Spanish "Ruby" type, and is, in fact, very close dimensionally to a 1903 Colt .32, with the exception that the Pompeya has a slide that is about 1/2" shorter than that of the Colt.

Although the slide legend is in French, the pistol has all the typical mechanics and workmanship of a Spanish made pistol from the 1920's. The typical trigger-blocking safety's two positions are marked "fire" and "safe."

There are no other markings other than the serial number (which is over 100,000!) and assembly numbers. There are no proof marks, no letter code, or any other type of marks whatsoever and that includes under the grips and inside the slide and frame.

The only outstanding feature is a loaded chamber indicator located on top of the slide, similar to that found on some early Unceta made pistols.

Nothing was found in Gene Gangarosa's book, and I couldn't find it listed in Mathews Firearms Identification, either.

It's a typical, mundane Spanish .32 auto, but so far, it's parentage has eluded me. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing in my references. Run it by "Bob in St. Louis" he is a moderator of the Gunboards forum on Spanish handguns, and a long time collector of same. Without the proofs it's likely pre 1927 Spanish. Slight possibility of manufacture in Dara, (Makarov's have been made their recently), or China though?
  • Options
    BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Pompeya" indicates Italian ancestry to me, not Spanish. Any possibility of a photo?

With no other marks, I suspect a copy too

Here's a c&p though, on a Star pistol that was accepted for French use. I don't think your pistol is a Star, but its a similar type, and referenced is a book that may help you

"Model 1914, Model 1 Militar or Pistolet automatique, type Star
    French Model 1 Militar or 1914 pistol

Though I had always thought the Model 1914 was simply a commercial version of the Model 1 Militar "Ruby" pistols, I am informed by a reader who owns one, that its still a Mannlicher style in keeping with the previous year-model numbered Echeverria pistols. There is also a chance that although the descriptions of these two pistols are correct, that my designations are still incorrect, and the Model 1 Militar was a Mannlicher style pistol, while the Ruby style contract gun had some other designation.

The reason for this extra confusion is that quantities of the Model 1914 were accepted for French military service. I am unclear in what quantities, but clearly significant numbers as there are specialized officers versions (with engraved slides), versions with and without the lanyard ring and so on. There is also more compact 7-shot officers model which is very prized in French gun collection circles today. These are illustrated and discussed in some detail in the recent "French Service Handguns" (Tommygun Books, Eugene Medlin and Jean Huon), which I have not seen, but should probably buy.

These pistols were definately made in .32 ACP caliber [7.65], but some reports indicate .25 caliber versions although this may simply be mis-identification of the similar, smaller, .25 ACP caliber model 1919. All these pistols vary from the previous Mannlicher-style models (the No. 2, 1906 and '08) in having an additional hammer-blocking drop safe"
  • Options
    doudinidoudini Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 pompeya pistols,different from yours,are of spanish manufacture, french markings for safe and fire,7 shot,no cartridge indicator,one has curved the other straight serrations and very low serial #;s,actually,one has no external no.'s. Sorry for the late reply,just registered. Joel