In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Buy/Sell Reloaded Ammo??

RedtailRedtail Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in Ask the Experts
I'pretty sure it is illegal to sell remanufsctured amunition without proper license/permits ect.But I have been told that if I take MY empty brass to an ameture reloader and ask him to reload it for my use,it's OK.

What say the EXPERTS?

Comments

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you wanting a buddy to reload it so that you can put it up for sale? Not quite sure what you're asking.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Redtail

I'pretty sure it is illegal to sell remanufsctured amunition without proper license/permits ect.But I have been told that if I take MY empty brass to an ameture reloader and ask him to reload it,it's OK.

What say the EXPERTS?

It is not illegal (so long as you don't resell the stuff) but then it is also perfectly legal to have your brakes replaced by an amateur mechanic. Depending on the skill levels involved (on either) it may not be worth the cost savings.
  • RedtailRedtail Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No,I don't want to resell it.I want to know if it's legal for me to hire some one to reload my empty brass.

It's not a matter of cost but of availability.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
    edited November -1
    LEGAL FOR YOU, BUT NOT FOR HIM. HE IS MANUFACTERING AMMO FOR SALE AND THIS REQUIRES A LICENSE (I ASSUME YOU ARE GOING TO PAY HIM). NOW IF YOU WENT TO HIS HOUSE AND USED HIS EQUIPMENT TO RELOAD YOUR BRASS (AND BROGHT A 12 PACK, FOR AFTERWARDS [;)]) THAT WOULD BE FINE.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to know who is doing the reloading VERY VERY well! I would never shoot someone elses reloads. Handgun especially, you can double charge them much easier than rifle shells. I use my own mostly for practice, but also for some hunting. You would have to be a little goofy to book a $4000 trip to Colorado and shoot someone elses reloads. On the other hand, someone very proficient at reloading can make better ammo than some cheap boughten loads.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Police departments and military shoot much more reloaded ammunition than first loadings and the primary criteria is that they are the lowest bidder and can supply ammunition that agrees to the bid specs.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redtail,

As a straight up answer to the way you worded the question, Mike Wiskey has provided the proper answer without any deviations for other or additional information.

It is perfectly legal to pay another person or organization to reload your ammunition.

However, as Mike states, it is not legal for a person or organization to accept that money unless they have a license. Now this doesn't mean that this doesn't take place, I'm sure it does but to the letter of the law it is not legal.

As to the opinions about shooting other folks reloads, I can agree to a certain extent but there are going to be all sorts of exceptions to the hard and fast rule of never shooting any other persons reloads.

I much prefer to shoot my own reloads for the reasons stated. I want to accept the responsibility of making it the best I can and doing so without errors or mistakes. I don't want that little twinge of remorse when I put a cartridge in the chamber and get ready to shoot... did he do it exactly as I wrote it out for the recipe?

But and here's a big but...

I work with folks who are constantly at work or working and we have precious little time to test let alone develop a bunch of new loads for each of several competition rifles. Enter a fellow shooter who is also a commercial custom reloader. He has been able to take our Match formula and apply it to several thousands of cartridges which have all yielded superb results. Our verification is that they all don't just go boom but we have several shooters on a team that are ranked in the top 1/2 of 1% in the nation. The reloads are REALLY GOOD!

Several of us also exchange loads for various cartridges that we're working on. This saves everyone from working up an individual load for each cartridge so we can cover more cartridges. The difference is that we're all extremely experienced reloaders and we trust ourselves and each other.

So, in general, it might be a wise rule to avoid an unknown reloader's reloads but there are several good reasons to accept reloads as long as you have the potentials as stated above.

Best.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    Police departments and military shoot much more reloaded ammunition than first loadings...I've been involved in the game for quite some time and can tell you that these days most LE agencies train with factory new ammo.

The US military doesn't use any reloaded ammo, even for training.
  • RedtailRedtail Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ThaNKS A BUNCH guys that offered input on the legality,for the rest of you,I have been eating other folks cooking for 74 years
    ,and on the freeway with thousands I'v never met.I'd shoot reloaded ammo from a trusted and knowlegable person any day.