In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AK 47 scope mount

msmalley1227msmalley1227 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited April 2013 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at an AK 47 scope mount by NCStar that replaces the receiver cover for my WASR 10 and wondered if anybody has one and how well they like it. Is that the best way to install a scope on my AK? Thanks.

Mike S.

Comments

• Options
    msmalley1227msmalley1227 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would appreciate some recommendations regarding scope mounts for the AK 47. Many thanks.

11thcanopy
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried a Chinese made one that was similar on a SKS. It didn't hold zero very well. Too much slop between the cover and receiver. Your rig might be OK for mounting a red dot sight for up-close and personal, home defense at <50 yds. Don't see it working at long range shots, 100+ with a scope.

The AK's with the riveted scope mount on the left side of the receiver, seem much more suited for use with a scope.
  • Options
    ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best scope mount I have seen for an AK47 is made by B-Square. It is attached by 2 screws thru your receiver, they replace the pins for your trigger and FCG. I have seen many for sale here on GB'er. Good luck.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best scope mount for your WASR 10, is one that attaches to the side plate scope mount on the left side of your receiver. They lock up pretty good...a lot better than the dust cover.

Best
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ignore previous replies.

The Texas Weapon Systems top cover mount is rock solid. I put a MEPRO21 on a full auto RPK equipped with one...so there ya go.

http://texasweaponsystems.com/
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Understand also that the AKM gun and stock 7.62x39 round just aren't meant for long range shooting. 125 yards is probably a practical maximum, and I wouldn't go for more than 3x magnification max. 1x/dot sight is probably ideal.

That said NCSTAR receiver cover mount is probably the WORST way to install a scope on your AK. If you want something cheap and dirty for close range, it will work, but the receiver cover just isn't stable enough to get a repeatable zero if you take it off and on, and you shouldn't expect good accuracy here.

As mentioned, if your gun has the side mount recesses, that's a practical and relatively inexpensive way to mount a conventional scope.

The dogleg mount (Texas Weapons) is going to give you the most flexibility in terms of where you put the scope, how high, etc, but its a little spendy.

A lot of people like the "Ultimak" for a front mounted dot sight, though that sort of setup isn't optimal for a conventional magnification optical scope. That's another good one you should look at.