In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rcbs jr. 2

llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hi guys,
I have an chance to purchase an rcbs jr. 2 press. Does anyone have some input on this, or experience with this model? I have a rock chucker that I love. This might be a gift for P.Theim. So I don't want to give away a piece of crap. Any input will help in this decision will be greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
llama girl

Comments

• Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    It is the only press I've needed for the last 40 years, using it on large rifle as well. Great little unit.

Although I would gladly trade my Jr. for a full size Rock Chucker.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanx GeeGuy this what I needed to hear. Checked other sources wanted it confirmed by The Experts. Y'all have never steered me wrong.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being it's a older model press,(I remember them from the 60's). Check the linkage for wear. Although very well made, it might have seen continuous use since then.

I had a older Rock Chucker that had so much wear in the linkage that it squeaked every time you cycled the handle. I tried to lube it, but never could stop the squeaking. They should have built it with Zerk fittings at the linkage points that saw the most pressure and wear, but didn't.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a "powerful" as the 'chucker, but still a good press.
    Mine is relagated to the lighter duties (it's the press I started with) now, IE: bullet pulling/seating, primer pocket swedging (I have the old style swedger that replaces the ram on my Jr) and pistol ammo.
    My Rockchucker does my rifle sizing and case forming.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanx for all the input guys. I went and picked it up and the unit looks like it was made yesterday. Truly beautiful if it was used it shows no wear. It had no primer installer but the guy used a hand primer while watching TV so I need 1 of those.
    Thanx for everything,
    Llama Girl
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 RCBS Juniors, one of them since the 1960's. I use them for small jobs of just a couple hundred rounds. I have a Dillon 650 for big reloading jobs.

One thing I like about the JR's is you can feel everything that is going on whether your seating, crimping, resizing etc. You can still find used ones at gun shows for $40-$50.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact RCBS and they will send you the primer tray. Great press. My Dad's has loaded thousands of rounds per year for over 40 years.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The RCBS Jr., is what I cut my teeth on, when I was but 13 years old. I currently run a RockChucker Supreme, and it handles everything I need to do. But for getting started, that Jr.2, will cover 90% of your needs, while you keep your eye out for a RockChucker.

Best