In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Used brass

Marshal WillMarshal Will Member Posts: 18
edited April 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have about 100 lbs of spent 5.56, 7.62 and 30 caliber cartridges. Should I sell them as scrap brass or try to find someone who would want to reload them?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Is there any market for it on GunBroker.com? Thanks for any help. Will
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As of right now I don't reload, but I save my brass. I don't plan on reloading in the near future. Where can I sell my brass and do I have to seperate the calibers? 22cal., 380cal., 9mm, 38sp.cal., 357cal., 45cal. and 7.62x39

Should I throw the steel casings away?

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

Edited by - RugerNiner on 05/07/2002 23:05:51
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a HUGE market for it, especially popular chamberigs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you.I will start listing soon.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All brass isn't created equal. Lot of cartridges loaded overseas use Berdan primers. These aren't used by U.S. reloaders. You unknowingly sell Berdan primed brass on the auction, will cause much hate and discontent.

Check the headstamp(s) on the brass, before you sell it. If it comes from over the water, much sure it isn't berdan. Even their boxer primed stuff is slightly different from U.S. Years ago I got hold of Boxer primed RWS that I had a heck of a time getting the primer to seat correctly.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that stuff is for the guy buying it
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will..... If your not sure if your brass is berdan or boxer primed, use a flashlight to look inside the case. If you see a single flash hole in the center its boxer and good for sale. If you see two holes offset from the center a little, its berdan.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Berdan .308 / 7.62x51 has been selling on the auction side. Some shooters do reload Berdan brass.

Berdan brass does not command the prices that Boxer brass does, but it is worth saving - someone will want it.[:)]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by M1A762
    Berdan .308 / 7.62x51 has been selling on the auction side. Some shooters do reload Berdan brass.

Berdan brass does not command the prices that Boxer brass does, but it is worth saving - someone will want it.[:)]

If you can get the Berdan primers in the right size. Years ago the Old Western Scrounger in calli use to carry them. After Navy Arms bought him out. Haven't seen many for sale in any size?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by M1A762

If you can get the Berdan primers in the right size. Years ago the Old Western Scrounger in calli use to carry them. After Navy Arms bought him out. Haven't seen many for sale in any size?
    Grafs gets a load of berdan primers in every 18 months or so. I use them for some of the real oddbal calibers- 6.5 dutch comes to mind.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, Lohman Arms seems to have Berdan primers in stock.

http://www.lohmanarms.com