In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W alloy cylinder pros and cons

austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for a 617, 10 shot. I see some advertised with an alloy cylinder. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to this cylinder vs. a regular cylinder?

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 617's, a 10 shot with the alloy cylinder and a 6 shot with stainless cylinder. The alloy cylinder makes the gun lighter obviously, it also makes the cylinder rotate faster in double action. I have not seen any loosening of the lock-up after several hundred rounds. The gun is super accurate, I can hit empty 12ga shells thrown in the air with it.

IMG_2131.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    I have 2 617's, a 10 shot with the alloy cylinder and a 6 shot with stainless cylinder. The alloy cylinder makes the gun lighter obviously, it also makes the cylinder rotate faster in double action. I have not seen any loosening of the lock-up after several hundred rounds. The gun is super accurate, I can hit empty 12ga shells thrown in the air with it.

IMG_2131.jpg
    Dayum, that is good shootin. Would the alloy command a higher price?
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might just because the alloy cylinder version was only made for about 1 year. It was discontinued due to poor sales in favor of the SS cylinder version.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gotcha. Thank you for the info.
  • Options
    JOELBLACKJOELBLACK Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just looked at a SS version a few days ago and felt it was much heavier than my old 1950's vintage Model 17.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JOELBLACK
    I just looked at a SS version a few days ago and felt it was much heavier than my old 1950's vintage Model 17.

It is heavier.

Unlike the old K-22/model 17, the 617 is actually built on the slightly beefier "L" frame (not the "K"). If you take a look at the picture above, the 617 has a full barrel underlug.

Whether that's good or bad depends on your point of view. Heavier gun = steadier gun = more accuracy. Heavier gun also equals more weight to lug around with you all day, slower to point (not a big deal in a .22, I don't think), and increased shooter fatigue when shooting a lot of rounds.

FWIW, given the choice here, I'd prefer the steel cylinder version. IMO, I'd rather have the extra durability of the steel over a relatively small weight difference.

If you're talking an ENTIRE alloy version of this gun (ie frame AND cylinder), that's a different story, but I don't think Smith ever made something like that.

wouldn't buy the alloy cylinder version of this. I'm sure its OK, but