In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

US Springfield 1903 side sight

bullin82bullin82 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
I just came across a US Springfield 1903 (sadly sporterized)but its missing the rear peep sight. It has the side mounting bracket but I cant seem to find the actual sight that goes with it. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A number of different manufacturers made receiver sights. Lyman and Redfield probably were the best known.

As they were all different and unlikely that the parts would interchange. It would be best if you could post photos of the base that attaches to the receiver. Perhaps one of our members could identify the manufacturer.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with rufe-snow. One of the most common and generally considered the best back in the day was the Lyman 48. If it is a Lyman 48 the model number will probably be stamped in the front of the base. A photo is almost essential for us to help you.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M1903 rifle has a ladder rear sight. The M1903A3 has a peep sight.

If it is a low serial number rifle, it may not be safe to shoot.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I looked at the base and it indeed says Lyman 48C on it. I would post some pics but the wife has the camera
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullin82
    I looked at the base and it indeed says Lyman 48C on it. I would post some pics but the wife has the camera

Here is a photo off the net of a Springfield with a Lyman 48C receiver sight. They were made over a long period of time, according to Stroebel's book. With many changes and variations. You would have to be sure if you purchased a slide off the net, that you got it on a approval basis. So that you could return it if it didn't fit or function correctly, with the base you have on your rifle.

DSC00226-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for all your help it is greatly appreciated. Now comes the hard part...finding the darn thing.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bullin82, You are in luck in one respect, the Lyman 48C was used on many many rifles. It came standard on the 1922 series Springfields, which is a .22 caliber variation of the 1903 Springfield. The picture posted by rufe-snow is one of the later variation with the elevation slide numbered to 60. The most common of those in the 1920-1940 period had the elevation slide numbered to 125 with a "long slide" variation available that was numbered to 150. The complete 48C sights come up frequently on ebay and GunBroker. Expect to pay $150.00 or so for a nice one. I paid $85.00 for just the slide a couple of years ago. The reason they are so hard to find is that many removed the sight slide when a scope was mounted on the rifle. You mentioned that the rifle had "sadly" been sporterized. Depending on the quality of the sporterizing, you may have a rifle that is more valuable than if in the original military configuration. We would all like to see a photo of your rifle if you can post one. The windage/elevation slide will not be marked 48C. You will be able to identify the slide that works on the 1922 and 1903 Springfields by the slight step up in the crosspiece. This, as far as I know, will be only found on the elevation/windage slides for the 1903/1922. The step up is visible in the picture rufe-snow posted. This is probably more than you wanted to know but keeping this information in mind may keep you from buying a slide that will not work on your rifle, even though it might fit into the base.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I figure Gary F. is the first resort in iron sights.

You may well have to buy a complete 48C, elevation slides alone are not real common on the market.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 48 C slide and base are hand fitted and are numbered togeather. If you find a replacment slide, you may have to fit it to the base.