In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 ammo

Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a box of western 22 ammo in a blue and yellow box.On the inside flap is stamped,"ARMY LOT 308" 1940 86RE72X2Any idea of the value?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Went to Walmart this weekend and found some ammo ( 45 , 22, 3030). they had just gotten a shipment in before I got there.
    They had some Remmington golden _____ 22 ammo and I purchased it.
    What do yall see as the best / better 22 ammo. ( please not the ones available.) Winchester has several versions as do others. Whats the difference.

Thanks

Rex
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone recommend a "standard velocity" 22.I'm a little confused by the nomenclature.I've seen high velocity,hyper velocity and hi speed.S&W suggested using a standard velocity 22 in their model 22A.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was looking on the auction side for a case of 22 to shoot in my 10/22 and gsg5.I mainly shoot cans and rabbits. Any recommendation?
    Tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know where one can buy Winchester Supreme, 22LR ammo? They say it comes in a black box. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    O.K. I have shot plenty of different rounds of 22, but which ammo is acutally the fastest and quietest ammo out there? It's easy to find one that is really quite and one that is really fast, but finding one that is both is tricky.

[8D]badlands.gif

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    where could i get cci 22 ammo? thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    whats the 22 ammo called that only uses a primer to fire. i need some quit 22 ammo and i have used this stuff before and remember all you can here is the click of the firing pin.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Each .22 firearm is a law unto itself. The best for me might not be right for you, or your gun.

That said, I'm partial to CCI Mini-Mag solids and the Winchester bulk pack 555's/333's.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I've had too many misfires with Remington ammo. Stick with Winchester, CCI or Federal.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rex Mahan
    Went to Walmart this weekend and found some ammo ( 45 , 22, 3030). they had just gotten a shipment in before I got there.
    They had some Remmington golden _____ 22 ammo and I purchased it.
    What do yall see as the best / better 22 ammo. ( please not the ones available.) Winchester has several versions as do others. Whats the difference.

Thanks

Rex

Which ones would you like then? I didn't realize one could buy something that was not available.

My personal prefference is the Federal 36 grain copper plated hollow point. Used to be able to get them in box of 50, brick of 500, or bulk pack of 550. But since there is hardly anything out there now, you have to take what you can get, unless you have a bunch stored up, previously.

Best
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's the difference?A

At this point, .22 ammo is so scarce on the shelves that you should take whatever you can get your hands on and be glad that you have ANY ammo to shoot!

But to answer the question, different .22 ammo is designed for different purposes.

If you want maximum accuracy, you'll want 40 grain solid standard velocity (ie subsonic) rounds. True match grade ammo is this, just manufactured to exacting specs for max consistency.

The ammo LABELLED as "subsonic" typically has hollow points and is intended for hunting small edible game (ie so you don't destroy the meat so much).

Ordinary "high velocity" ammo gets a little more oomph, and is good for a variety of applications, but its louder. I won't run this through delicate match pistols designed to run ordinary 40 grain ammo at standard velocity.

There are specialty high velocity .22s to get max energy for hunting (eg the CCI Stinger, CCI Velocitor, Aguila "max" ammos, etc). There is also CB type ammo designed for quiet low velocity "backyard" type plinking or pest control.

And there is cheap "promotional" ammo packed loose, designed basically for low cost plinking/practice. This is the stuff you bought that usually comes in a milk-carton like container. Most of this is "high velocity" and uses copper plated 36 grain hollowpoint bullets.

For the cheap bulk pack (milk carton/promotional) .22LR, my preferred order (from best to worst) is Federal, then Winchester, then Remington. Remington just seems to be the worst in terms of duds and accuracy and I'll typically buy something else. . .if I actually have the choice.

For "ordinary" ammo, the CCI regular 40 grain solid is actually quite good in terms of both accuracy and reliability. Their specialty ammo is also very good (ie the "velocitors" "green tag", mini-mags) etc, but its pricey.

I've had good luck with the Aguila/Mexican made purple box "Eley" target ammo. Don't know if this one is still made, and its certainly not true "match" ammo, but for a relatively cheap plinker, I've liked it.

For actual match ammo, that's going to be what works best in your particular gun, what you can afford (some of this stuff costs more than centerfire ammo) and what you can actually GET. The Wolf/SK Jagd ammo is very good. Eley probably is the best, but its super-duper expensive. . .when you can find it.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of the wally choices, Rem sub sonic HPs did/do best for me.

But... if you can shop around, there is plenty better still. I like CCI SV ($30/brick in non-panic times), and I just got some SK bulk from Grafs - 1000 rounds delivered just under $100, and it shoots MOA for me at 100 yards.

Plenty of higher grade ammo out there, prices haven't gone bonkers, but bulk prices have reached it. If you are going to pay $7 for 50 rounds, would you rather shoot Fed Lightning or RWS Target ammo?
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About all you can do, when ammo is available, is get a box of each kind that is available and try it in your own guns. .22 firearms are notorious in their individuality. Fortunately, my .22's seem to like one of the least expensive, the CCI Blazer ammo. They are reliable and accurate in both my rifles and my handguns.
  • Options
    oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    American Eagle and Federal HPoints overall, to us are the best 22 ammo out there. We shoot them every week of the year out of our bolt action rifles. Hate remingtons and sold off all we owned so there are plenty people that do like them. Lots of auto 22s, rifle and pistol, are very ammo picky so you really have to test all for each gun. I have always stockpiled Federals.(525 & 550ct. boxes)
  • Options
    seb1999seb1999 Member Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington Golden Bullets are the recommended ammo to use in an Advantage Arms .22 1911 Conversion Kit. I have had good success with these rounds but Federal works best in my Ruger - Go Figure[:)]
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SORRY BEANTOWN - I have always found your posts and replies on-point and helpfull, but saying" At this point, .22 ammo is so scarce on the shelves that you should take whatever you can get your hands on and be glad that you have ANY ammo to shoot"! Is Blasphemy ! You should be hopping mad that you are being played, and you can't get 22 ammo. This GUN CONTROL (i.e. CONTROL BY ANY MEANS) should enrage any American. First-you cannot solve a criminal problem by punishing law abiding citizens, and second, there are much more important things to fix. If 'the man' in the head chair doesn't want them fixed...and wants us to fail, freeze/kick/lock him out. It has been done before.

However, you and Andrew are spot on on finding 22 ammo your machine likes, just like others. My 2 favorite 22s like the Aguila SSS 60gr , and I bought 4 bricks last year. They always shoot this well. And bargain ammo that introduces more of an error than I do is of no use.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gotstolefrom
    SORRY BEANTOWN - I have always found your posts and replies on-point and helpfull, but saying" At this point, .22 ammo is so scarce on the shelves that you should take whatever you can get your hands on and be glad that you have ANY ammo to shoot"! Is Blasphemy !
    If you look on the retail shelves in my town, there is no .22. That's not "blasphemy"; its simply a fact.

If you find any on a shelf right now, you should buy it and feel lucky that you were the one who was there at that moment, because chances are it would be gone in ten minutes if it weren't you.

quote: You should be hopping mad that you are being played, and you can't get 22 ammo.
    Who said I couldn't get it?

I said there was none on the STORE shelves. . .doesn't mean there is none on **MY** shelves! I've got enough to last me through the end of this panic, I think.

Also, there is plenty of it out there for sale on the auction site too, if you want to pay panic prices for it. I don't need to, so I won't, but if I "needed" it badly enough, I would.

quote:This GUN CONTROL (i.e. CONTROL BY ANY MEANS) should enrage any American.
    Its not "gun control", its just supply and demand.

The amount of shooters has skyrocketed over the last ten years, and there are more American gun owners and active shooters nowadays then ever before in US history. So ammo demand continues to go up and up.

On top of that, the economy is bad, and there was (until very recently) quite a bit of fear about future gun control pushes, so people are hoarding ammo. Part of it is just fear that ammo will be unavailable, part of it is survivalist, part of it even a sort of poor man's investment (ie ammo is a metals-based commodity just like silver or gold).

But whatever the reason, the hoarding feeds on itself. . .people buy up every available brick of ammo they can find hoping to sell it later at a profit. This, in turn drives up the shortages, increasing reflex buying. Manufacturers can only put out so much ammo, and they've all been running at max capacity for quite some time.

It wasn't *quite* as bad, but we saw the exact same thing four years ago. The ammo situation gradually returned to normal over a year. It will probably take a bit longer this time, but once the hoarders have had their fill, and backorders filled, you can expect ammo shelves to restock over the next 12 months or so.

quote:However, you and Andrew are spot on on finding 22 ammo your machine likes, just like others. My 2 favorite 22s like the Aguila SSS 60gr , and I bought 4 bricks last year. They always shoot this well. And bargain ammo that introduces more of an error than I do is of no use.

Never been a big fan of the SSS ammo myself, but I think it does have its uses (eg it supposedly runs very well out of AR-15 .22LR conversions because of the faster AR-barrel twist). And yeah. . . I have a brick of this in my stash too. . even though I never use it because 'better to have and not need then need and not have'.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As to which ammo I use, that depends on what I'm doing:

For my high standard (.22 match pistol) its always standard velocity 40 grain round nose lead bullets. I won't run high velocity anything ever, because the frames on these guns are known to crack after many many rounds, and being a vintage 1963 Hamden made gun, I don't want that to happen!

I used to run a lot of Wolf through this gun, but the cost of it has really skyrocketed and I just don't anymore. If I were competing, I'd be running 'real' match ammo, though bluntly, I don't think I'm a good enough shot to really take advantage of it. The single best group I ever shot was with (what I presume to be Korean made) PMC "scoremaster".

For my other 'plinking' .22 handguns, its whatever I have handy. A lot of the time its the promotional/milk carton stuff (again, I favor Federal, but I'll take what I can get). Some semiautos don't like the 36 grain hollowpoint promotional stuff, and run better on 40 grain round nose bullets. If so, I'll use em. When shooting with friends or new shooters, I'll typically break out the cheapo .22, since most of them don't know the difference and/or aren't good enough shots to really take advantage of it anyway.

For my custom 10-22 I'll typically shoot target ammo. Gun is accurate enough to take advantage of it. . .I might as well. Note that ordinary target ammo is subsonic and typically fairly quiet when fired through a RIFLE. Also note that ordinary target ammo uses soft lead bullets that will mushroom on impact. So the "target" stuff is potentially useful for shooting things other than paper targets.

I usually don't carry a .22 for this reason, but IMO "target" ammo actually makes the best defensive ammo for a short barreled .22. . .why this is true is the subject of another post.

I keep a box of .22longs in the pack with my .22 bolt action in case there are any "backyard" issues I need to deal with. This ammo is both quieter than normal ammo, and lower powered, making it potentially useful for shooting in situations where, shall we say, maybe you "shouldn't" be.

Also have a brick of Aguila "supermax" in the stash (these are like stingers). Could be useful for hunting, even though I never do it. Keep a brick of the SSS, again, with the idea that its better to have and not need then vice versa. Also have a brick of the "primer only" ammo, that basically turns a .22 rifle into an air-rifle. Its neither accurate nor powerful, but its totally silent in firing and you could shoot it indoors if you "had" to.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This ammo shortage will continue as long as bidders at auctions keep paying 3 to 4 times the normal store price for .22's and other calibers. It is motivation for scalpers to clean out the shelves and put their rewards up for auction. Once folks refuse to pay $120 for a 550 rd box of .22's the scalping will cease.

I have plenty of .22 and other ammo to last a while, so I am not buying anything, just waiting to see when it will end.

About half of my supply of .22 ammo. I bought some of this when it was $9.97 for 550rds at Walmart.

IMG_0017_zpse387a785.jpg