In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mini 14 rear folding sight blade

Lucky007Lucky007 Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
I changed out the front sight on a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch rifle from the factory sight to one of those that is an "all in one" front sight/muzzle brake similar to an AR profile. The front sight looks better now but it no longer works well with the rear factory folding sight (it shoots about 2' low at 50 yards). Does anyone know where I can find a different/taller rear folding sight blade that will fit on the existing folding Ruger rear sight so I can get the gun sighted in correctly? The gun has a Bushnell 1.5x4 Banner scope on it with Ruger medium height rings so the option of changing out the rear sight altogether to the Tech Sight MINI200 aftermarket sight won't work (not enough clearance).

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may want to try an M1 Carbine rear sight. The dovetail of the sight can be made to fit and surplus or aftermarket sights are usually inexpensive. I'm sure an aftermarket Mini specific M1 type rear sight is available and will fit with no fiddling - check Accuracy Systems. They're usually a bit more expensive though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had already checked ASI...$80 for their M1/Mini-14 sight. It looks good and may just fit, but the price is what put me off. I don't have the tools or skills to machine an original M1 sight to fit the Ruger dove tail....I just may have to go with the ASI end the end though. If I could just find a taller peep portion of the original folder I bet it would only cost a few dollars.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 different factory blades
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lucky007
    I had already checked ASI...$80 for their M1/Mini-14 sight. It looks good and may just fit, but the price is what put me off. I don't have the tools or skills to machine an original M1 sight to fit the Ruger dove tail....I just may have to go with the ASI end the end though. If I could just find a taller peep portion of the original folder I bet it would only cost a few dollars.

Reducing the dovetal on an M1 Carbine rear sight is pretty simple - a vise and a hand file will work. The body is a stamping, unless you buy a Kensight ($39.99) and easy to reduce.

You might also consider the Williams WGR. I have one on mine as a back up. I use a gas block mounted XS front sight and the Williams has a fair amount of elevation. The plus on the Williams is interchangeable peep aperture.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/310422/williams-wgrs-mini-14-30-guide-receiver-peep-sight-ruger-mini-14-ranch-rifle-and-mini-30-aluminum-black
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you lower the front sight it will raise the point of impact! Take the rifle to the range and file the front sight a little until it gets on target.

Emmett
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought about filing down the front sight, but because if the construction of the front sight/muzzle brake, if I screw it up then the whole unit will be useless. Thought the rear site blade change would be the better/safer route to go.