In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotgun choke

EddpyattEddpyatt Member Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
Is it possible to remove or reduce the fixed choke in a shotgun barrel without cutting it off? I want to maintain the 28" length, but change the choke on a Winchester 101 from M/F to S/S.

Comments

• Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    The chokes can be opened up to whatever you want. Be sure the gunsmith you choose to do this is qualified to do this, because the chokes are chrome lined in 101's.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have Briley put in screw in tubes.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an older 50's vintage Model 12 years ago, that this had been done to. It's a comparatively simple thing to do, opening up the chokes.

Unfortunately it kills the value of the shotgun. When I was selling the Model 12. The chokes being changed from full to modified, for steel shot turned off some of the prospective buyers.

A 101 is a high dollar out of production shotgun. Opening up the chokes to skeet likely would have quite a negative affect on it's value.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on the grade, you may want to sell your 101 and buy one in a skeet model. Then you would have the other upgrades the skeet version had.

Here is a shop that specializes in 101's and he has a pigeon grade and diamond grade skeet in stock.

http://doublegunshop.com/showler.htm