In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Changing mainspring on S&W

john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
Is it necessary to remove the sideplate when changing the mainspring on a S&W Model 36? The trigger return spring doesn't need replacing.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The head portion of the mainspring rod has a stirrup shaped end, that engages a pin in the hammer. The bottom portion of the mainspring rod has a hole in it. Put a paperclip in this hole, after cocking the hammer. Release hammer very slowly and carefully. Should be enough clearance to get the mainspring assembly out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    O.K. thanks. I had thought there may not be room to disengage the upper end unless the sideplate was removed.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might find either a yoke or ball end on the hammer spring rod.
    Either way they come out the same way.
    No need to remove the sideplate.
    If you do want to remove the sideplate, remove the hammer spring first.
    Dry firing with the sideplate removed risks loosening the hammer pivot pin. That's bad news to repair.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I hoped that this would have that ball/socket attachment but looking on the Net most say that this was on the very old 36's and Chief Specials. I try to stay away from lockwork but this looks like something I might be able to do.