In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best AR bolt carbon removal tool

fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
I was just wondering what you guys recommended as the best for the money?

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'm not familiar with the specifics of the AR platform, but for recent improvements in gun cleaning I have been quite pleased with Otis products.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're going to occasionally scrub an AR bolt, I would suggest soaking in a carbon cutter, then use nothing harder than a brass brush. Nylon brush is better, IMHO. More damage is done scraping these things with hard objects (stainless dentist picks, flat bladed screwdrivers, stainless brushes, etc) than in leaving them alone.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    We used tooth brushes and pipe cleaners in Viet Nam.
    W.D.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ultrasonic cleaner.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I can understand wanting a rifle to be squeaky clean, but looking at things realistically there's no need to become overly concerned with that bit of carbon buildup way back inside the bolt carrier.

It will never build up to the point that it interfere's with functioning of the gun and corrosion won't be an issue.

EDIT:

quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    Yeah, right- as they say: Tell it to the Marines. Especially those that survived the hill battles. Their M16s were interfered by that little bit of carbon buildup- despite Colts assurances.
    You're mistaken on some details.

Also, my statement isn't based upon Colt recommendations.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    I can understand wanting a rifle to be squeaky clean, but looking at things realistically there's no need to become overly concerned with that bit of carbon buildup way back inside the bolt carrier.

It will never build up to the point that it interfere's with functioning of the gun and corrosion won't be an issue.

Yeah, right- as they say: Tell it to the Marines. Especially those that survived the hill battles. Their M16s were interfered by that little bit of carbon buildup- despite Colts assurances.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I have not used them myself, Brownells sells a couple of different carbon scraping tools for AR bolts.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    put parts in zip lock bag with Kroil keep them wet with the Kroil And it will just wipe off after a few hours.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consider getting a piston....
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have piston, I have standard...shoot semi and full auto with both types. Unless you're going into a 500-round "mad minute" firefight; IMHO piston systems can and do work, but honestly; a piston gun is an answer searching for a problem with modern AR's, modern ammo, and minimum care.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to mention if you also shoot supressed with a short barrel, or in my case, you shoot left handed and get tired of the gases wafting back into your face.