In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30 Short Rimfire

lawboblawbob Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
Looking for info re. United States Cartridge Company (Lowell, MA) 30 short rimfire ammo. Box has red top label with "30 Short Target Cartridges" on box side. Have nine cartridges with "US" headstamp. Unable to find information on manufacture, dates or value of this caliber.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was a 19th Century personal protection cartridge. Never very popular. I had a Marlin, Spur Trigger, Suicide Special, in 30 rimfire, years ago.

Probably the cartridge became obsolete by the 1880's. As .32 became the dominate caliber for the Suicide Specials.

Here is a photo off the net of one of the Marlins, similar to mine.

The ammo and box is so uncommon, it might have substantial collectors value?

jm-marlin-top-break-61.jpg
  • Options
    lawboblawbob Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Short" makes sense for 30 cal. rimfire pistol. "Target Cartridge" makes more sense for rifle. How many rifles were chambered for 30 short rimfire? Marlin Models 1872 & 1892? Henry and Spencer Repeaters?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lawbob
    "Short" makes sense for 30 cal. rimfire pistol. "Target Cartridge" makes more sense for rifle. How many rifles were chambered for 30 short rimfire? Marlin Models 1872 & 1892? Henry and Spencer Repeaters?

You're getting the 30 short rimfire confused with other rimfire cartridges. No matter what was marked on the box, it wasn't a target cartridge. And wasn't chambered in any of the rifles you mentioned. You can see the difference by comparing one of the cartridges, to a standard 22 Long Rifle cartridge.

I believe the "Target Cartridge" marking on the box can be attributed to over enthusiastic advertising, common in the 19th Century.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Certainly not the Spencer or Henry. Possibly the Winchester Single Shot (1885), or the other manufacturers single shots like Stevens. .30 Short could be fired in .30 Long, also.

US Cartridge Company lasted into the 20th Century before they were bought out. I have USCC in my collection. Boxes that are not full (or close to it), and not in nice condition, will not have much value.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1885 Winchester didn't use the 30 short rimfire!
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    COTW says handguns beginning in early 1860's such as Sharps four-barrel, Standard revolver, Colt New Line & various single shots were made in this cal. (pocket or house guns). Now a collector's item.