In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 22 Center Fire 1885

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have been looking for a 1885 Winchester. I wanted to find something with a smaller caliber but also one that ammo is available and does not cost a arm and a leg. I see the WRF and WCF 22's but don't know a thing about the ammo. Is the WRF the same thing as the 22 ammo we now have?
Is either one available at a reasonable price?
I know the 32's and the 25 20's are hard to come by but what about a 38,would that be a good one?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The WRF is between the 22LR and the 22 MAG.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 22 WRF has the same dimensions as the current 22 Mag. except for length and PRESSURE. It is a low pressure cartridge (on the order of the 22 rimfire). A 22 WRF can be fired in a 22 Mag. chamber but NOT the other way around. The WRF cartridge is occassionaly produced but production is spotty at best and not cheap when available.

The 22 WCF is the forerunner of the 22 Hornet and the case is the same except for length. The WCF is/was a black powder cartridge and, again, was a lower pressure round. The old experimenters, like Townsend Whelen, chambered Springfield M2's for the cartridge and fooled around with smokeless powder to produce the .22 Hornet. That's why we have some smaller jacketed .22 bullets, to shoot in barrels origionally intended for .22 RF. I would think the 22 WCF, since you can make cases from Hornet brass, would fit your requirements but you need to do considerably more research on cartridge history before you do anything more.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 22 WCF is the predecessor to the 22 Hornet, and it has the exact same case dimension (including the length) except for the neck diameter. The 22 WCF used a .226 bullet whereas the early 22 Hornet used a .223 bullet. Modern 22 Hornet ammo uses a .224 bullet.

The Hornet is a much higher pressure cartridge than the 22 WCF was, but any Model 1885 rifle in shootable condition can easily handle the 22 Hornet cartridge.

22 WRF ammo is readily available. Both Winchester and CCI make it, and it is not as expensive as 22 WMR.