In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nickle plated 1894 winchester?

406STROKER406STROKER Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
Is this 1894 nickel plated? Thanks Eric.
2-22.jpg
2305.jpg
2-31.jpg
2-51.jpg
2-13.jpg
2-11.jpg

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like nickel to me. The red is the copper layer between the steel and the nickel.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, and it appears that it was factory nickel plated. Unfortunately, the nickel plating is in poor condition.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks again for all the info. I was unsure if it was factory or if someone did it. The bore is very nice and a great shooter with action nice and tight. But the barrel is 21 7/8? I dont know if it has been cut down but asumming at that length it has. I have a few more old weird gun I will list if you dont mind giving your input as to what they are. Thanks again for all your help. Eric.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Eric,

Measure the barrel length from the bolt face. Also, please post a picture of the muzzle face, and the end of the magazine tube.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are pics of the mag and muzzel. The mag looks uncut and has screw hole to hold it in place. The muzzel still has the nickle on it so I dont know how it could have been cut unless it was sent back to the factory and cut and then nickeled?

13381.JPG
    13391.JPG
    13411.JPG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Both the barrel and magazine tube have been cut down. If that is nickel plating on the muzzle face, that tells me that it was not plated by Winchester.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How do you tell? It look the same but none of the redness like on the rest of gun. Thanks again for all the info. Also it has nikel steel stamped on barrel but does not say especially for smokless powder like my other 1894's? Eric.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "cut" on the bottom of the muzzle face is whats left of the full length mag tube dovetail mount.