In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MANNLICHER SCHOENAUER 1903 opinions on value

ITBrian35ITBrian35 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

I have a Schoenauer 1903 with a Williams-United "Golden Condor" 4x21 scope. I would like to hear everyone's opinion on what the value of it is or a range on the value based on the pictures I've posted via the link to Flikr below. I have an idea of what to start it at, but any advice would be very welcome.

Thank you,
Brian

Please use the link below to view the pictures on Flikr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95887973@N07/

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appears to be in very good condition. Stock appears to have been refinished. The drilled and tapped holes for the US made side mount is the big negative as I see it.

If I were you I wouldn't advertise it with the mount and scope at all. Get some headless plug screws that are unobtrusive as possible and put them into the holes.

With the d & t'ed receiver probably in the $800 to $1200 range. Collectors are a funny bunch though. They want big buck guns to be 100% nothing bubbaed.
  • Options
    bill2740bill2740 Member Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What caliber?
    MS type ammo expensive.
    D&T holes in action. A shooter?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for your input, I appreciate it.

quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    It appears to be in very good condition. Stock appears to have been refinished. The drilled and tapped holes for the US made side mount is the big negative as I see it.

If I were you I wouldn't advertise it with the mount and scope at all. Get some headless plug screws that are unobtrusive as possible and put them into the holes.

With the d & t'ed receiver probably in the $800 to $1200 range. Collectors are a funny bunch though. They want big buck guns to be 100% nothing bubbaed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bill,

Yes, the 6.5x54 160 grain ammo is very expensive, however I was going to include 40 rounds of ammo with the rifle. Buffalo Arms sells it for about $96.00 (for two). I have no idea what you're asking with the comment: "D&T holes in action. A shooter?" The gun was drilled and tapped for the scope holes, if that's what you mean, but I'm not sure.

Thank you for your input,
    Brian

quote:Originally posted by bill2740
    What caliber?
    MS type ammo expensive.
    D&T holes in action. A shooter?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that I know what Bill was thinking (because I was thinking the same thing.)
    If you take a "collectible" rifle & drill holes in it, it will no longer be collectible. That only leaves use as a "shooter"; that is, target shooting or hunting, which is not likely with this gun because ammo is so expensive.

Well, you asked for everyone's opinion, so my opinion is that you will be lucky to get $200 for it. But, start your auction high, &, if you get no bites, you can always lower your price.

Neal
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it will make a nice shooter for someone that will load for it. Sell the mount with rifle, (not likely to fit much else) scope is your choice. Shipping ammo is a real pain for regular folks.

I'd give more than $200 and less than 800 unless I could shoot it first.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it wasn't for those real ugly three drilled/tapped holes in the receiver and the wood removed below them, you would be looking at a +$2000 MS carbine. At least that's what the last one I watched went for and it didn't even have the original rear sight - went for somewhere around $2800 if I remember correctly. I agree with the $800 value.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with those who say leave the base and rings with rifle. The scope is probably a $25 item by itself and the Williams mounts are virtually worthless except for a M-S.

I have bought two 1903 Springfields that had the side mounts removed. One had a griffin and Howe mount at one time and the other had a Noske. It is quite a challenge to finds the side mount bases and whoever removed them probably had to give them away. The holes in the receiver will be apparent even with plug screws in them.

At one time I collected the M-S rifles and carbines. Never found a 6.5 X 54 that I could afford. I would consider your carbine a hunting gun. Price of ammo should not be a factor if one only shoots a few rounds a year.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen,

Thank you for your help and opinions on this. If the local dealer isn't interested in it tomorrow, I'll list it following your advice.

Take care,
    Brian
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ITBrian35,

If you look on the auction side doing a search for Mannlicher and Schoenauer you find a whole slew of rifles that come up from $1k to $3k+....with no bids on them.

The ones with bids on them are in the $500-$1000 range. Don't get fooled by the high hopes and dreams of those who want to retire on selling one gun. These are very nice rifles, but they just don't meet the needs of the everyday shooter. Certainly not at the cost that everybody wishes they could get for them. They aren't all that rare either as doing a search, hundreds of them come up.

The way you have your rifle set up it's useable with a scope. It's not in collectable condition. The scope isn't a big name scope. For most people it would be a throwaway when they got something better.

As for being drilled and tapped. Yeah it's gonna hurt some guys feelings that it isn't original. But it's not their rifle. What they always fail to see is that 'back when', the 'average' shooter could put a scope on his rifle, HE DID. They didn't worry about what somebody was going to think of their stuff 60 years later. I'm betting if you put a really decent scope in those rings, on that base that attaches to your rifle only, you could out-shoot any knothead who feels the need to challenge you with open sights.[}:)][;)] That is, if you understand what guns are for...shooting.

$800 tops. However, if you started it around $600 I'm sure it would get there on the auction side. Anything more would be a bonus.