In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

unopened spam can RA 26000 38 S&W

golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
Can is marked 38 S&W Ball in cartons

Are these really 38 S&W or could they be 38 special?

I don't really want to open it

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wasn't there a British WWII revolver chambered in .38 S&W? Perhaps these are lend-lease contract.
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know they are different. I'm assuming this is marked correctly and truly are 38 S&W. But the true name of a 38 special is 38 smith & Wesson Special. I don't want to mislead a buyer just in case my assumption is wrong.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd bet they are 38 S&W not Special's.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Brits called the .38 S&W loaded with the 200 gr lead bullet the ".380/200MkI"..and later with the lighter FMJ bullet the ".380 Revolver MkIIz", so if it was lend-lease it would (should?) have that designator on the can. Looking at Cartridge Collectors.org site the "RA" should be Remington Arms.

I will not be suprised if it was .38 Spl ammo for US-bound security details that used the Colt or S&W revolvers issued to them during the war.

BUT without opening the can and inspecting the rounds...you might never be sure.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there a production date on the carton? If so, that might provide some insight.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    You'll improve your chances of an accurate answer by supplying all markings on the case.

Adding a pic or two of the can - also showing dimensions - would be even better.
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The can is unopened thus the questions. It is a typically dark green spam can with yellow print. Size 8 1/2 X 5 1/2 X 6 Other than the yellow printing which also has do not use as food container, There is no other printing. The bottom has a metal stamped capital N

In addition to the food statement, the yellow print reads

950 CARTRIDGES
    CAL 38 S&W BALL
    IN CARTONS
    LOT RA 26000
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is the OLD website that will tell you about that can/ammo.

http://www.dia.mil/publicaffairs/Foia/smcal_vol1.pdf

It WAS a large pdf file that has been moved somewhere else on the www.

It showed all military spam can markings and ammo id.

IF you can find the file please let me know.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assuming the labeling is accurate, it should be .38 S&W. In the USA the two .38 cartridges have always been identified separately - .38 S&W and .38 Special.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    It's a military spam can containing ammo loaded by a US manufacturer but it displays no standard US military markings or nomenclature.

I'd lean toward it being .38 S&W produced for supplying the Brits.