In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping USPS

Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
Can I ship a USFA Single Action Revolver (colt replica- made in 2007) to a dealer in another state through USPS? Im have a C an R liciense.Im confused after reading several places online. It looks like NO.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. Only a C1 Licensee can ship through the PO. A Curio and Relic Licensee,( C3 ), has to use a common carrier like UPS or FedEx.
  • Options
    Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. Thats what I thought, but I read on another site, that the Post Office changed the rules recently.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    stop reading the other site and go to PO site and read that
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats why the post office loses money,,restricts shipping of things like that-
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that most gun/ammo mailing restrictions are the work of ATF&E, not USPS. And, lifting a restriction such as this would have no impact on the bottom line.

JMHO
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cheechako
    I believe that most gun/ammo mailing restrictions are the work of ATF&E, not USPS. And, lifting a restriction such as this would have no impact on the bottom line.JMHO

It would signigicantly lower the price of shipping a handgun. Shipping to a Smith cost a bit over $80 UPS, and a bit over $7 for him to return USPS. I'll take $73 to the next show for ammo any day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    USPS handgun shipments have to go FFL to FFL which raises the cost.

But, regardless, the comment concerned USPS losing money. I seriously doubt if easing the restrictions on replica handguns would result in the USPS getting out of debt and making a profit.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What was I thinking, more revenue if you are allowed to ship ammo and handguns,,shoot,,,bet UPS, Fed Ex don't make a dime doing it,,,glad I was corrected-[|)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote: . . .glad I was corrected-[|)]

No problem.

Do you really think that shipping handguns is a big money-maker for UPS or FedEx? It's chump-change for them, and as more and more States and Cities pass laws further restricting gun and ammo ownership, it will become even less important to them.

You've never been able to mail ammunition. It has always gone by freight ot common carrier. For USPS to start doing it would require changes in a lot of laws and regulations, not to mention the cost of setting up a system to handle it.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Cheechako
    USPS handgun shipments have to go FFL to FFL which raises the cost.

NOT if you use the flat rate boxes [;)]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Restrictions against the mailing of handguns to/from licensees is due to law (Gun Control Act of 1968), not ATFE regulations. Prior to 1968, you could send a check or MO (plus a signed statement that you were > 21 & not a felon) to any dealer in the country, & he could mail a gun directly to your home. Not surprisingly, the liberals in Congress felt that they needed to put a halt to that, despite the fact that abuses were rare (Lee Harvey Oswald the notable exception).

USPS loses money because of waste & abuse by USPS management (millions to the Olympics, millions to a doped bicyclist, & billions to employees working 3-4 hours a day). They probably make more money shipping guns between dealers/distributors than most other items, as most guns are insured, & USPS charges twice as much for insurance as they need to (by their own admission).

The common carriers are often used for longguns because dealers/distributors can get their packages picked up, rather than go to the PO. A trip to the PO may work out better for handguns, since most dealers can't negotiate a lower rate from FedEx or UPS.

Neal