In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Magazine Question

DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
I had a friend who passed away in October of 2011. His widow recently called me and asked if I would come and get his firearms as she didn't want them around and she knew of two that he had that she could no longer find. She is suspicious of a handyman who had been working in her house.

One of them is a 7.62x25 pistol. At first I thought it was a Tokarov (sp?) but now I don't know. It looks identical to one, but I have yet to find a manufacturers name on it. On the top of the slide, it has a chinese marking on it. On the left rear side of the slide, it has a serial number followed by "1967".

The gun is in excellent condition but does not have a magazine. Other than finding someone locally (rural Arkansas) to help me, how can I tell exactly what this gun is and what magazine I need to find?

Any info very much appreciated.

Stan

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hey guys I have a couple of quick questions, I found 3 of the 14 round MecGar Sig 229 .40 S&W magazines. Before I buy them I just wanted to get a little input, are MecGar magazines pretty high quality? and just as reliable as the factory mags? I know there are good aftermarket magazine manufactures but there are also horrible ones like ProMag so I just wanted to check with you guys before I spend over $100 on these mags. As always I really appreciate any and all of your input and suggestions!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good Day Forum,
    Can someone tell me if M14 mags will work in an Armalite AR10?
    Thanks.
    John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger P89dc in 9mm. Will P85 9mm mags work in this pistol?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One of my stocking stuffers this year for Xmas was a 9 round mag for my m21a Beretta pistol. Tonight I finally got out to the range to test it out. First clip I had 2 feed problems (rounds never chambered and were at a 45 degree angle to the barrel). The last round always seemed to jam and from one to nine it was any random one. I don't have the heart to tell my father the thing is a piece of crap so I can't return it. When I compared it to the factory mag (7round) it seemed like the aftermarket's spring had alot less tension. Being a youngin and not knowing is it possible for me to cut back the spring and try to make this thing work or should I do what ever other "honest" person does and sell it on Ebay [:D]? Any help would appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the MecGar mags, I've used them for many years, I use to shoot IPSC many years ago and used those mags for my Sig 226. I shot in the stock category and the mag couldn't extend from the gun, had to be flush, loved the 18 rounders! I never had an issue with them, and still shoot them to this day!

I also have a couple for my Sig 229 in 40S&W.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DerBarbarian
    Hey guys I have a couple of quick questions, I found 3 of the 14 round MecGar Sig 229 .40 S&W magazines. Before I buy them I just wanted to get a little input, are MecGar magazines pretty high quality?

Yes. MecGar magazines are good.

quote: and just as reliable as the factory mags?
    I don't know who makes the SIG magazines, but for many gun makers, the factory magazines ARE made by Mec-Gar, including CZ, Beretta, and others.

quote:
    I know there are good aftermarket magazine manufactures but there are also horrible ones like ProMag so I just wanted to check with you guys before I spend over $100 on these mags. As always I really appreciate any and all of your input and suggestions!

Pro-mag. . .hit or miss.
    Mec-Gar. . .typically excellent.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My personal experiences with the MecGar magazines been top-end, never any problems of any sort wtih feed, function or wear vs. tear.

Feedback from others has been great also.

( My purchases and sales of them were years back though - as mine seem to weather and last well enough. [;)] )
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    mecgar is an OEM for most of the major companys
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use MecGars in my P-229 and they work flawlessly with both .40 S&W and .357 Sig.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are great mags. Up until a little while ago they were the OEM for Sig. I have a bunch for different pistols and have never had an issue with them.