In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

spam can RA 26000 38 S&W (continued)

golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
original link

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=600861

I listed it with a couple of pics. I'm going with the ammo actually being 38 S&W. Here's the listing link

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=344029163

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the US Navy issued revolvers in 38 S&W during the Korean conflict to carrier pilots.

I cannot make out the stamping below "A".

I'm thinking maybe that year was stamped into the metal. My dad had several spam cans for the Grand and they were 44 IIRC.
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    below the RA is stamped 38.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Why were you asking what the caliber is [?][?]
    The can is stamped 38 S&W right on it [:0]
    edited November -1
    Because I have never seen a spam can in that caliber nor have I seen one in 38 Special which as you know is really 38 Smith & Wesson Special. Just trying to be sure
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1944, Remington manufactured 38 S&W ammunition for OSS use in the Colt Police Positive revolver.

That's an unusual Lot number. RA 26000 would indicate a WW II manufacture, but the 26000 series of numbers was assigned to Peters Cartridge Company. But since Remington owned and operated Peters and the Kings Mills Ordnance Plant, they must have used the numbers for Remington production.[?][?]
    edited November -1
    Finally some great info . thanks
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I THINK the Victory Model S&W was made in both 38 S&W and 38 Special, and was used (among other places) to arm guards at factories vital to war efforts. POSSIBLE venue for 38 S&W ammo.
  • Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The colt Commando was also used in WW2 for home security use. The caliber is .38 Special.
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure the S&W Victory was ever chambered for the 38 S&W cartridge. The Army first contracted with Remington in 1942 to manufacture 38 Special ammunition for pilot an shore police use. Over 50 million rounds were manufactured during WW II and the M41 remained the standard for many years after that.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cheechako
    I'm not sure the S&W Victory was ever chambered for the 38 S&W cartridge.S&W Victory's produced for the US military and civilian security forces were chambered in .38 Special.

Lend-Lease Victory models for use by British Commonwealth personnel were chambered for the same round as their Enfield and Webley revolvers, the 38/200. That's a .38 S&W loaded with a 200gr. bullet running 620fps.

You sometimes see these British use Victory models floating around the US market still chambered in .38 S&W, but after returning home most had their chambers reamed to .38 Special with the .38 S&W stamping remaining on the barrel.