In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question about possible Collectability

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
What is the opinion of this particular model of an AR byproduct becoming collectable? I know there are probably fifty manufacturers of AR platform rifles/pistols, and millions in the states, but if any "new" ban occurs, would this model seem to be more collectable than others?

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=343261134

Just a question of curiosity.

Thanks,

Aaron

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two things determine collectibility: Supply and demand. In this case supply is low. . .but I think demand is also probably pretty low. Olympic came out with several variations of these guns over the years, and I don't think any of them were particularly big sellers.

If you're after pure "collectibility" in a handgun I think you can do a lot better with your $1000. (EG just buy anything with the word "Colt" on it).

With high build quality and the bufferless design, this particular model is probably one of the best *of its type*. If you had to have an AR-15 handgun, this is probably the way to go. The problem is that as actual guns, these are more novelties than anything else.

These are quite bulky, and at nearly five pounds loaded, they're also pretty heavy. The weight and chopped down design make balance odd, making the guns hard to point let alone shoot accurately with one hand. Short barrel is noisy and significantly gimps the ballistics of the .223 round.

So these are not really well suited for conventional concealed carry, home defense, target shooting, competitive shooting, or hunting. Other than as an expensive novelty range plinker, I'm not quite sure why you'd want one of these.

I don't know how feasible it would be to add a folding stock here, but if you paid to SBR this thing and then did that you'd have what amounts to an AR-15 platform submachine gun, and IMO you'd have something interesting. Even better would be folding stock and select-fire, though I don't think there is any legal way to get there.

quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper
    The Enforcer actually has a following and is "worth" more than [$]400-
    Well, if you look at the "completed auction" site, these have changed hands recently at $420-$800 with most at around $600. One was listed with an open of $499 (and BIN of $575) and nobody bid. . .suggesting that either there is little demand for these, or that $499 isn't a particularly great price, or both.

So I'd say $600 is probably fair market value for a used one of these right now (not $400 and not $1500).
  • Options
    allamericangunshopallamericangunshop Member Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well :
    Anything can be considered 'collectable' ?
    I know a guy who even collects "raven pistols" ???
    I think the real question should maybe be :
    At what price ? is an item overpriced per current market ? or is it a true bargin ?
    I have said for many years : ( and I can prove this ) ,
    A Firearm is a great "longterm" investment !!!

Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns ........... a.k.a. ........ SKEEZIX ......................
    Gunsmith / LEO / Instructor
    Athens , Tn

... www.allamericangunshop.com
    ... www.tnhandgunclasses.vpweb.com
  • Options
    MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all the opinions. A fellow at work and I were just talking this week and he made mention that he was considering making the purchase. I told him I would drop a line on the forum to see what folks thought. Of course, he also has an Enforcer (.30 cal. pistol) that he thought would be worth $1500.... I set him straight on that being a $400 gun...maybe but really wasn't sure about the AR pistol.

I have my M4 & M16 models and my AK (regular) & underfolder models....I should be fine with them.[8D]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was the version they made chambered in 7.62 X 39, probably would have considerable more collectability/notoriety.

The feds used it as a excuse to ban the Chinese surplus military steel core ammo from importation. Their argument was that since it was fireable in a pistol, it could be classified as "cop killer" ammo. No matter that Olympic couldn't give them away, and probably actually manufactured less than 100.

It pissed a lot of folks at that time because it curtailed the importation and availability of the cheap Chinese military ammo. All that was available was the Norinco commercial stuff, that was more expensive.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Enforcer actually has a following and is "worth" more than 400-
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper
    The Enforcer actually has a following and is "worth" more than 400-

So I'd say $600 is probably fair market value for a used one of these right now

Well, 600 is more than 400,..imo
  • Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they didn't quit making them because of the assault ban, they quit making them because they were JUNK!!! they were copied after the patriot arms gun. the patriot didn't work either. ask yourself this, if they were so good and collectible, why not make them again?
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Well, 600 is more than 400,..imo
    Pretty clearly it is, and that's not just your opinion. One of them did recently sell for $425, IIRC, so that's at least in the ballpark of a "$400 gun".

Anyway, I wasn't trying to refute what you said, just provide what I think the true market value of these "enforcer" guns are.

This thread isn't supposed to be about those, but IMO those are also mostly "novelty" guns with limited "real world" value as an actual firearm. Again, you've got all the issues of bulk, poor concealability and poor balance that you do with all of these cut down rifle platform handguns.

In terms of ballistics, .30 carbine from a handgun is virtually identical to 357 SIG with light (ie 100 or 110 grain) bullets. So if its the ballistics you're after, any .40SW pistol with a 357 SIG conversion barrel will give you the same ballistics in a much nicer overall package.

quote:Originally posted by burpfire
    they didn't quit making them [the Olympic short AR-15s] because of the assault ban, they quit making them because they were JUNK!!! they were copied after the patriot arms gun. the patriot didn't work either. ask yourself this, if they were so good and collectible, why not make them again?

Its true that these were never popular, but sometimes collectors markets are "crazy" in the sense that yesterday's junk becomes today's treasure.

I can imagine all sort of situations (eg: hit movie appearance, high profile crime use, "celebrity" endorsement, etc), that could suddenly increase collector demand for these things. Obviously, I wouldn't hold my breath for something like this to happen, and realistically it probably isn't likely, but with supply so low, it wouldn't take much increase in demand to drive up prices significantly.

In terms of actual valuation, its tough to get a good sense of value for fairly rare items with low market demand, because comparable sales are had to locate, and rare enough that they probably aren't that meaningful anyway. At any point in time, there may be very few potential buyers, making the price low, or there could be one really interested "must have" buyer, who has deep pockets and doesn't mind paying top dollar, driving up the price.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahhhh....the Olympic arms OA93. The first AR type handgun to be successful with the omission of the buffer tube. And no, it was NOT patterned after the Patriot Arms junk, and the OA93, coming from Olympic, is surely not junk.

As the name suggests', it was debuted in 1993, one year before the Clinton ban. However, as has been suggested, the falling point was when Olympic chambered it for 7.62x39, and caused a big burp in the importation of the steel core cheap ammunition. At that time, as also has been suggested, the feds stopped the importation of that ammunition. Olympic dropped the OA93, almost immediately, so the 5.56 ammunition did not get banned from sale also.

As for the worth of the listed auction link, it is anyone's guess right now. That is easily worth $1500.00(someone has obviously not seen it yet, who is interested), and if it were a 7.62 model, it would bring over $3K.

Best