In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

LOOKING FOR NICE MUFFS

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
The most comfortable muffs (hearing-protectors) are also the quietest, and ecomonical I've ever bought, Peltor 30dB $ 18.00. They are THE ones I will have with me if I go to a range and it is crowded ( or I just turn around and go home ).

I have a pair of the electronic muffs, stereo amplified for below 85 dB giving me good hearing , and they cut the boom by -25 dB (advertised) when I'm alone in a blind , or with just one other hunter. They are of little value at a range when you have many shooters...they will not do enough for that braked .454 that is 15 ft to your left. They are OK at the range when there is no crowd.

NOW you understand my delima, and possibly my financial limitations.
WHO has a GOOD suppressing muff with applification at low dB.

I may just buy another Peltor for <$18 ! and gut the electronics out of one of mono electronic muffs and carefull try to craft my own 'custom muff' ( or have a Bubba Muff that goes in the trash).

kin ya hep me ?
Thanks to all..

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Peltor Make good ELECTRONIC Shooting among 100 shooters at camp perry all firing 5 shots in 10 seconds work great and then between reloading even I could hear range commands
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    In addition to insulating my ears from the noise is that when the design of the muff is such that it quiets the sound, it also is so bulky that it interferes with my shooting. So I compromised. I'm right handed, so when shooting, a large muff on my right ear hits the stock. But since my right ear is somewhat protected by the stock and my arm, and is directed slightly away from the firing line, I need less protection for it than my left ear, which is directed toward the line and is in the open. My compromise was to combine two sets. I use the high Db protection model on my left ear and standard protection on my right ear- accomplished by removing and swapping one muff. Actually I have the parts to make a reverse set around here somewhere. I get protection from the cannon next to me that has concussion as part of it's blast, while not scratching up my stock and interfering with my aim technique.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These were on sale at MidwayUSA for $19.99 last fall and I bought a 4 sets for a few men in my family as gifts.

I don't shoot w/o them. If I go trap shooting I can still hear the commands and I can talk to the people next to me w/o shouting. They have a dial that turns up or down the microphone & makes them easy to hear. I can shoot trap & they never interfere with my gun stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2135416662/caldwell-e-max-low-profile-electronic-earmuffs-nrr-23db
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wear the electronic muffs over foam plugs. Turn up the muff volume to hear speech through the plugs.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been very pleased with these: http://tinyurl.com/ow3van5
    At the range and in the stand.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The question is who has a cheap amplified muff with lots of protection?

Even the best muffs won't give you more than a 33dB reduction in sound pressure. Ultimately, there is only so much ANY muff or plug can do, because sound will strike the outside of your head and get conducted through your skull.

Anyway, if you need more than 33db reduction, (and with really loud guns, its not a bad idea), you can go with muffs OVER plugs. I'll typically do this when shooting (or near someone shooting) medium or bigger centerfire rifles.

Even medium quality muffs (27dB) over medium quality plugs (29dB) will add together to give you about 39dB sound pressure reduction, which is quite a bit more than the BEST muff or the BEST plugs, separately. See here: http://www.coopersafety.com/NoiseReduction.aspx

And remember, since the dB system is logarithmic, even a few more dB results in a significant difference in sound pressure.

So I think the "answer" to this question is to find the cheapest amplified earmuffs you can, wear them over foam plugs (any plugs) and turn up the volume.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He Dog-Very interesting. In years of shooting I've never worn muffs in the stand or blind or whatever. Maybe that's why I have a slight hearing loss[;)]