In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading Press

Little AlLittle Al Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
I need help trying to identify a reloading press. there are no markings of any manufacture on the press. I am having trouble trying to post a picture but I can email one if anybody can help.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking on bidding on a RCBS Reloader Special 2 Reloading press on EBAY. Is this a good press to start with I plan to use it to do .45LC rounds.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thinking of getting into reloading my own ammo; which is the one to buy? Progressive press, Turret press, or Single press? Looks like LEE has about the cheapest cost and RCBS the highest cost in most shooting supply catalogs with every one else falling in between. Thanks for the comments.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can some one help me identify a reloading press i have.It is green and very well built.I am sure its made of cast iorn.It is also very old because i bought it in an estate sale.I would guess maybe built in the 50s or 60s.The only indentifing marks says model 6.I have never seen one of these and would like to know if shell holders are still available for it.They are alot different than my rock chucker.The threads where the dies screw in are the same thou just a differnt type of shell holders thats held in place with allen screws.
    Thanks for any info you have.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Higher cost usually gets you higher quality,easier operation & faster production.Even the cheapest hand-held Lee press willproduce fine quality re-loads. The choise depends on how involved you expect to become & on how much you intend to reload. There can be a very heavy investment if you buy top of the line equipment & if you don't reload enough you will never recover your investment. Note that each person that replies will offer an opinion based on their own personal usage. I usually reload smallquanities at a time & get by quite well withsimple tools.[This message has been edited by gruntled (edited 01-29-2002).]
  • Options
    25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir, I will probably get tarred and feathered for this, but I would not buy anything made by Lee. Stick with the name brands, and most are of equal quality, and will retain their value better. I prefer RCBS or Redding for a single stage press and for their die sets. If you are going to reload a lot of pistol ammo and maybe 223's, I would get a Dillon 550 progressive press, but only after you learn the basics on a single stage press first. One thing I would do, is buy 2 or 3 loading manuals and read them before I started trying to reload.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Yep 25-06, I'll tar and feather ya... RCBS and Dillon are made to higher quality standards, but in terms of accuracy in shooting and fuctionality, LEE is just as good. If you just are starting out, Lee is the way to go- look into their anniversery O frame kit.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
    edited November -1
    I've been reloading for just over a year now I started with the RCBS Rockchucker Kit, found it on sale. I still reread sections of the three manuals I have Speer, Nosler and Sinclair they sit on my reloading bench for easy access and this reading and an undestracted atmosphere are very important. I also keep the RCBS die instructions handy during each process's setup. A good reloading room with a very solid bench is a must preferably in the house due to the winter temps in the garage. I got lucky and have a 10'x15' room in my heated basement soley for reloading and gun maintenance. You should also invest in a Chronagraph.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I am not sure how much reloading I am going to do ; it costs me about 0.45 per factory round. Thought of spending between $100. and $200. May be just another hobby. It beats sitting in front of the TV or staring out the window. Guns are fun. Thanks.
  • Options
    rrfhunterrrfhunter Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Lee products and I'm very happy with them. I reload a few hundred rounds of rifle per year. You can buy RCBS for three times as much and it's not any better. The trick to reloading from an economy standpoint is that you might as well shoot the more expensive calibers ie:300 weatherby magnum vs. 30/06 ($35/box v.$11.00) cuz the bullets primer and powder all cost the same. The work is the same. Unless you're gonna reload handgun ammo a single stage press is great. I put the teenagers to work cleaning primer pockets,etc while they watch tv. (you can have both!)If a 100 rounds in a caliber will last you a few range sessions then an evenings work will square you away. The quality and flexibility is the real payoff though and you'll jump leaps and bounds in your shooting skills.
    ....I never met a gun I didn't like!
  • Options
    hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Don't overlook a good garage sale, I purchased a entire loading factory for $150. including 10 or 12 different sets of dies and enough powder to load for varmets the rest of my life. All was rcbs, well used but in great shape.
    I eat my road kill!!
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As noted by gruntled, it depends on how much you shoot but becareful ... you'll find yourself shooting more!I started with a lee, when it broke I bought a used RCBS (which I still have and use on occasion) ... then Dillon came out with their RL550, I saw one being demonstrated at a show, one round produced every throw of the lever ... I shoot 4-5000 year, sometimes more so I had to have one! Then after a few years the little woman (out of the goodness of her heart and not knowing what to get me for christmas) bought me an RL550B a couple years ago Mine have paid for themselves several times over as I can reload 9mm & .45's for about 6 cents or less(lead), .223 for 8-10 cents, and .308 for 14-15 cents, all for optimal preformance and satisfaction. I know I can buy cheap .223 & .308 for less but nowhere near as the consistant preformance of home rolled. I compare them to Federal Gold Match at $17-$22 per 20 rounds.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lee Turret Press is a cheap, but decent quality way to get started. You can use it as a single stage to learn the ropes, then use it with the auto index feature to speed things up a little. With the Lee, you can do about 4 boxes an hour of pistol ammo. The whole set up will cost you around $125 if you include the powder measure and scale, which you will need! I must have loaded ten thousand rounds on my Lee Press over the years. Only recently I upgraded to the Dillon 550, which I think is the best machine on the market right now.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I have a 40 year collection of reloading gear most RCBS, but I really like Lee dies especily the seater, you get a straight round. I all so use their hand held primer tool, wore one out afer 1000s of rounds, got a new one yeasterday. I use a DILLON square deal fer pistols and Love it. I do not know any reloader that is true blue to any Co. I have been reloading fer 50 years My reloading stuff has paid fer it's self over and over again.