In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 99e

grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know how I can find out when this rifle was manufactured?
Savage 99E Serial # starts with an A and 6 digits after. any help
greatly appreciated.
gene

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What is the difference in the savage 99e and 99f?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I looked at one of these guns at a shop today, it had an off brand 4x scope, poorly refinished stock, 65 to 75% blue, some surface rust, no pitting, .308 cal, and a $319. price tag. I don't think it's worth it, but I like well used guns. Can I have some opinions?
    Thanks, Grizztribefans@sssnet.com
  • Options
    jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Know what you mean,look at the price of any used gun. then (hold on to your pants) go look at new one! anyway, I have a few of the 99s and two are the E model. fair price here in missouri.
  • Options
    WyomingSwedeWyomingSwede Member Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good price in the Dakotas also. swede
    WyomingSwede
  • Options
    SageSage Member Posts: 367
    edited November -1
    I love lever actions of any make. I have mostly Winchesters but also have two 99's. F + EG models. To me they are more than guns but works of art from a bygone era. Dicker to the best price you can, but it, fix it up the way you want it to look and enjoy!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In that condition the rifle is not a collectable, but the price is not either. It is probably a fair price if you want to go to the trouble to re-blue and re-stock or just use it cleaned up. If the scope is receiver mounted the bored and tapped holes in the action may not be factory. Some varients were shipped with factory holes, but many have had holes added by a gunsmith, sometimes not very artisticlly. If not factory the holes will forever render the condition of the gun "fair" so if you want a fixer-upper, go for it. If you are looking for a collectable, pass it by and look for an all original rifle in better shape. Expect to pay $450 or more.