In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cleaning from chamber end

GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
Ok, seems like every one cleans by pushing the cleaning rod and brush into the chamber end first to come out at the muzzle. But what do you do with rifles where you can't slide a rod straight through? Like my M1A.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do not have a bolt action, where the bolt can be removed, you have little choice but to clean from the muzzle. This is true of semi-autos and most if not all lever guns. First get a bore guide- a funnel shaped widget that slides over the rod and seats in the muzzle to protect the crown from abrasion. Use a gun cradle to hold the rifle and place it sight side down in the cradle with the muzzle lower than the action. Then clean from the muzzle trying not to get the patches too soaked. Run the patches trough and remove in the action rather than pulling the patch back through the barrel. Don't scub back and forth with the patch. This will help keep solvent and crud out of the action. Don't forget to clean the chamber well when you finish the barrel. [This message has been edited by He Dog (edited 02-26-2002).][This message has been edited by He Dog (edited 02-26-2002).]
  • Options
    grease_monkeygrease_monkey Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about a "boresnake" that you pull through?
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boresnake would definately work. About the bore guide! Are there different styles? I have one, but it's cone shaped plastic/rubber on one end with an aluminum tube and a sliding piece on the other end of the tube. Designed to go in the chamber. Are there ones made for the muzzle end?
  • Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a kit from OTIS. It is a cable set up designed to clean from breech to muzzle. You might want to check it out. www.otisgun.com
  • Options
    bwabwa Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a muzzle guide which is a simple cone, about 3/4" long, with the i.s. diameter the same as the diameter of the rod. You just slip it on the rod back from the end until you can attach your jag, and it centers the rod in the bore. Mine came with a cleaning kit; I'm sure you could buy them separately also.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indeed you can buy bore guides seperately for your rod. They are made in the rubber/plastic and in brass. I prefer the plastic as they are lighter and will not mark anything, but they do get beat up and need to be replaced every few years or so. The other "bore guide" you describe if for cleaning bolt actions from the action end. It locks between the chamber and the rear of the action and allows you to pass patch/rod through without droping solvent in the action. A must use for bolt rifles.As to the cable type cleaners, I carry one in the field for a quick cleaning job if needed, but they have (as far as I have seen) a slotted tip. I much prefer brass jags, they just do a better job of cleaning.