In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Breaking in a new Garand

TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
Hi guysI just bought a M1 Garand that has a brand new beretta barrel. And I was woundering about breaking it in. I have read some things about breaking in new rifels even something about putting valve grinding compound on your bullets. What do you guys think about the Garand. Thanks Tools1

Comments

• Options
    drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
    edited November -1
    This subject has been threaded here very recently so unless you have a match grade barrel shoot away. You will find numerous threads on this subject in the archives use "break in" as key words in the search. Theres also few paragraphs on this subject in different books. http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=BOVSOB&type=store
  • Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is critical that you apply lube to wear points on the slide, receiver, bolt, and hammer to ensure reliable function and prevent excessive wear.Also, be sure to use a bore guide when cleaning the barrel.Neal
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TOOLS1....Under no circumstance should you use valve grinding compound. Call up the recent threads on this topic and make up your own mind. Look at the various barrel breakin threads from barrel manufacturers and make your own mind on whether or not you need to do it. Better still go out to your own range and talk to some of the guys who look for extreme accuracy in their rifles and ask them what they recommend. If you are just going to hammer away at 100 yard targets with no real thoughts of accuracy you can probably save time and avoid the subject entirely and just shoot the rifle to your heart's content. If you are looking for accuracy read the threads. Then decide in which camp you belong. BeachP.S. I'd write out my break in procedure for you like I've done for others in the past...but I'm just not up for the devisive comments anymore. Beach