In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mossberg 185DB bolt action

cpilericpileri Member Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
mossberg 185db bolt action Question abt Mossberg 185Db bolt action I have asked questions about the mossberg 185DB bolt action 20ga shotgun before, and have another. (it is a 2.75" chamber) I hear that Magnum loads are not safe in this gun, as it was manufactured before the widespread popularity of magnum loads, and the barrel is not thick enough. True or no? And more importantly, I see alot of 2.75" shells that arent magnum but have some other designations: the word "mag" in the powder equivalent space; is it safe? the word "max"; is this safe (n this gun, of course)? "High velocity"; safe? also, assuming I remove the choke entirely, are slugs safe? or do they in-and-of themselves generate too much pressure? (doesn[t make intuitive sense, but thought I'd ask) Thansk inadvance for your time, Carl

Comments

• cpilericpileri Member Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please. Someone must know or own one...C-
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're Mossberg should be fine with 2 3/4 in magnums. It's a modern gun after all. Magnum just means a little more shot and powder - unless it's a 3INCH !! As far as slugs go your fine with any choke!!! That question has been asked 1000 times - so relax and fire away.
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do as you wish with your gun, but my advice is to NEVER shoot slugs through a gun with anything other than an open cylinder choke. A modified, or full choked gun should not be used for slugs, some will do it, and some will get away with it, accuracy may be good, but you may find later on that your shot pattern has been destroyed, as happend to my fathers gun, after my uncle stupidly did such a thing to his double barrel shotgun. Dad's still ticked off about that.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC