In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 rifle recommendations

oldoneeyeoldoneeye Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to buy my 11 yo son a 22 rifle (as my dad did for me - my son will be getting mine, but I'm not done with it yet!)- I want a high quality gun, probably bolt action for him (mines a lever), that will look nice in a cabinet 30 years from now. Accuracy and quality very important to me, looking to spend in the 300 to 500 range. Kimber is only brand recommended so far, but I know nothing about them, have not priced them. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In that price range, the Kimber would have to be bought used.Look at the Ruger 77/22.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I agree that a bolt action is best. It is at the low end of your price range- indeed below it- but don't overlook a Marlin as they are very good starter guns, look good, and are accurate. Make sure to get one of their better ones, though, with the blued finish, not the spray on black one. I have to say I question your choice in starting him off with an expensive gun. Isn't it better that he learn on something not so expensive, and then you get him the beauty say three or four years hence?
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There have been a number people that have reported good results from the CZ line of 22's also you might give them a look http://www.czusa.com/ I have noticed a few sellers of their products on the www.gunbroker.com auction site[This message has been edited by Tailgunner1954 (edited 02-27-2002).]
  • Options
    Rob3448Rob3448 Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think jonk is right! Get a marlin. I have had several and have been happy with all of the ones i bought. I have a Winshester model 131 and i like that gun but as i understand it they no longer make them. I have a marlin model 60 that's over 20 years old and i think that it's still a great gun. But make sure you don't get a cheap marlin. I bought a 60 new last year at wal-mart and after about 5000 rounds it looks worn out. Henery Arms makes a nice youth bolt gun. It is single shot only but a friend got one for his son and it shoots very well.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My suggestion would be a Winchester Model 52 Sporter or (Browning clone Model 52, only 5000 made). Classic design, top quality action that has been envied by other makers for decades. These run about $500-$600....but have something others may not offer....collector quality and appeal. Original 52 Sporters from the early years bring in excess of $2500 & up. The old saying goes "There are .22's....and then there are 52's" Bought both my sons 52 Brownings for their first .22's one Christmas....no question that years from now they will look back and appreciate the quality and classic design. One son used his extensively and has a few "character" dings. He not only used it for hunting but silhouette competition...won some trophy's as well. My other son kept his NIB and never fired it keeping in mind the collector value someday. Also got the matching "52" knives that Browning offered at that time. Couldn't resist and ended up getting the same thing for myself....sweet guns! [This message has been edited by Rembrandt (edited 02-27-2002).]
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad got me a Remington Fieldmaster .22 ... nice pump gun, but it did jam up unless you had just the right brand of ammo. And even then in jamed till the day it left the house.I am not a Winchester Model 94 nut. Cannot be beat new or used as far as my biased opinion is concerned.I saw a Kimber bolt action rifle several months ago in Iowa City at Scheels. There is one great looking rifle ... in a great store. It's like going to a gun show only everyone is nice to you because they hope to help you find what you want and BUY IT!Be sure to teach him to be careful and safe with it! It will be well worth it for the years of hunting/shooting/gun talking pleasure for the rest of your time together.
    Ken
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Get him one of those bolt-action .22 trainers with the 5 round mags to get started. They are surplus military trainers and you can find them for $50-$80.Then get him the keeper when you know he'll take care of it.
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my son a new Savage youth model 22. (Can't recall the #) 5 shot clip, bolt fed. Gave $50 NIB at GB auction. Wally World has the same gun for around $90. Nice little gun. They also make a single shot bolt action version of it. So far, so good with it. When he gets a little older, probably go with a 10/22 or a marlin bolt.
  • Options
    mfvjrmmfvjrm Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TRY A MARLIN..BOLT ACTION OR AUTO. I JUST BOUGHT A NEW ONE THE OTHER DAY...AN 882SS IT IS A GREAT GUN,LOOKS NICE,SHOOTS GREAT,AND DIDN'T COST ME AN ARM AND A LEG. THEY HAVE ALOT OF DIFFERENT MODELS AVAILABLE. CHECK THEIR WEB SITE(WWW.MARLINFIREARMS.COM) I AM SURE YOU WILL FIND SOMETHING YOU LIKE.
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marlin bolt actions are great looking and great functioning.I shot the 22mag. Marlin 882. It's a very nice piece, and graet for a first gun.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com