In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Preferable 40?

BHliu11BHliu11 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
Hi all I am looking for a 40 cal weapon which I may choose to use as a backup weapon once I become full time police officer in CA. I am looking at S&W CS40, 4006TSW, SW99, Tarus PT140 Millennium, Sig 226 and Sig 229. Any suggestions? I am looking for the most reliable weapon which is cost effective and light. I know I can not get all of the thing that I want but any input will definately help.

Comments

• Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    First, if you're issued a Glock 22 (.40s&w) as a duty weapon, you should look at the Glock 27 (.40s&w) as a back up. It will accept the larger gun's mags (but not vice/versa due to mag length).Second, I thought the Sig 226 & 229 were 9mm? Do Sig guns come in different cals for each model or am I just off the mark matching the wrong cal with the wrong model?
  • Options
    BHliu11BHliu11 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mistake. P226 is only 9 and P229 comes in 9, 40 or 357. Dept. that I will be associated with issues Beretta 96 in 40 cal.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ACTUALLY, the p226 comes in 9, 40, and 357. The 40 and 357 are assembled in the US but are available in all the same configurations. I would choose a sig for any purpose, not just backup.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Cheif's Special is small but thick. The 4006 is too large for backup, but a good gun. Forget the SW-99. It's junk! The SIG's are great guns, and you may want to look at the SIG 239 in .40S&W. You will want the smaller Cheifs Special or the Sig 239 as a backup weapon. They are small enough to carry in an ankle holster.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    As simonbs points out. If you are issued the 96 choose the 8040 or 8040D as, I believe, the full size mag will fit them.
  • Options
    sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you like the features of the sigs try looking at the P-239, it's single stack and very compact, comes in 9mm, 40, and .357 sig, saw a bunch at the show this past weekend going for $489, let us know what you decide.
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glock 27 has my vote. Reliable, compact, and 10 rounds of 40cal. Nice combo
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Christian B.Christian B. Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too am a Sig junkie. I've now ordered the 239 as my concealed weapon... and got rid of the Glock 26 to do so.I think the only way to know what works for you is to shoot them all. Find the one that fits you.christian