In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

10/22 hi-caps

niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to buy a hi-cap for my 10/22. I'm looking for a 25-30 rounder, but not sure which is best. Butler Creek, Condor, Eagle? Sugestions?
NIKLASAL@hotmail.com

Comments

• Options
    Master7thSonMaster7thSon Member Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two 50 rnders I might swap they are made by ramline have the red followers. will fit ruger 10/22
    77/22
    and intertec skorpion tec22
    but i'm no expert
    lets see what the real experts have to say about this issue...
  • Options
    ADfreeADfree Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a ramline 30 rounder at a show start of the month. It has worked flawlessly. We have an Eagle 30 rounder that sometimes jams, but it is just a matter of wiggling in right and using decent ammo.
  • Options
    rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used a few different 1's over the years. I like the single stacked 25 rounders the best. After some use I had problems with the double stacked mags. jamming up. They are pretty pricey these days and for my money I grab 2-25 rounders for the price of 1-50 rounder unless its a mitchell drum.
  • Options
    mfvjrmmfvjrm Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CHECK WWW.RUGERMAGS.COM THEY USUALLY HAVE A LITTLE OF EVERYTHING FOR THE 10/22 EXPECIALLY THE HIGH CAPS. THEY ALSO HAVE A 50 ROUND TEAR-DROP MAG
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks! Great site. Now, is there any difference between the plastic lipped and steel lipped mags?
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Master7thSonMaster7thSon Member Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to that web-site
    sure looks like the best deal around---I book-marked them for future reference! sure like the looks of that 50 rnder they have!
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    I hate to bring this up, but the fellow mfvjrm referred you to is in Canada, and make his money by taking post ban "export only" magazines and grinding the post ban designation off. He then ships them to the US. In other words, they are illegal post ban magazines that have been doctored to look like pre-ban magazines.It doesn't matter much to me what you do, some people figure as long as they work and get what seems to be a good deal they don't care. But knowlegable dealers will not touch such magazines as the possession of them is a felony. Not only that, they will not appreciate in value as will the genuine articles. At the very least they will always be subject to confiscation, or worse.Hi-cap mags are legal in Canada, there is no "pre-ban" mags up there because they are all legal. Those made in the USA after the ban, such as Butler Creek and the drums, are marked "Export Only" and then sent to countries where they are legal. Some of these Canadian fellows have taken to buying the mags at pre-ban prices, grinding/polishing the post ban designation off, and selling them to unsuspecting Americans for what appears to be a great bargain. Considering the quantity pricing they are getting them for, they are making a healthy profit selling counterfeit mags. Oh, the steel lipped Butler creeks are amoung the best, if they are genuine pre-ban you don't see them very often because people hang onto them. I've seen the frauds on auction sites often enough. Before bidding on any I'd recommend you check and see they are in the original packages and question the seller to make sure he hasn't bought them from Canada.[This message has been edited by boeboe (edited 02-27-2002).]
  • Options
    rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very true boeboe. Not worth the risk. I recommend if your going to buy them,buy them from a local gun show or a gunbroker seller with solid feedback. The folks who are selling these bogus mags. get caught quickly and change their usernames often so they wont have a ton of feedback posted.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nik,I've owned high-capacity Ramline, Eagle and Butler Creek in the past; now, all I own is Butler Creek.Infact, I'd rather own the 10-round in Butler Creek (especially the steel lipped), than the high-capacity in the other brands.That's not to say the others don't work; I just like the 100% reliability I've had with the BC better than the 99% reliability I've had with the other brands.Joe
  • Options
    gundummygundummy Member Posts: 254
    edited November -1
    Thanks Boeboe,I am glad you caught this post. I was about to tell my brother of the site till I saw your post. I was not aware this was happening from Canada. That's why I'm a gun-dummy, but boy, what a bunch of !#% up there! Hope no one here tries to save a buck or two by buying their crap. Not worth it. GD
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell, I didn't know they had hi-cap mags in canada. If i'da know that I'd have already had ordered some, crap. I don't care if they are "against the law" in the us. I scratch off the post ban designation myself if I can get'em cheaper from out of states. ATF doesn't enforce the magazine bans anyway, too much hastle for them.I may be a stupid cheap jerk who, but I'm not paying $170 for a freaking hi-cap magazine...Sorry, just had a gun law anxiety attack, just ignore me, I'm better now.
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    What the ATF enforces now and enforces 5 years from now may be very different. There is a lot they don't seem to care about, until it's noticed while investigating something else. Sure, this kind of thing may mearly be something that will be negotiated away in plea bargaining for something they really want, but most reputable dealers will not touch them. And these will appreciate no better than counterfeit coins, which is to say, they won't.