In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stovepipe?

niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in Ask the Experts
I am familiar with different kinds of jams, but not what they are called.What exactly is a stovepipe jam?
NIKLASAL@hotmail.com

Comments

• Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is when the empty casing sticks in the ejection port. It looks like a piece of stove pipe. WOODS
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Most likely caused by limp wristing.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, take it to a mechanic. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can also be caused by under-powered ammo or too strong of a recoil spring.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The three type of jams I learned about in the acadamy were:1)Failure to fire/failure to feed. -Slam magazine butt -Rack Slide2)Stovepipe. -Sweep hand over slide, hitting out case.3)Double Feed. -Drop magazine -Rack slide twice -Insert fresh magazine -Rack slide
    Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a "classic" problem shooting a Luger with under powered ammo. As described in a earlier post, the pistol attemps to eject the empy and pick up a new round, but lacking enough energy it doesn't pick up a new round OR fully eject the empy. the empy ends up sticking straight up in the ejection port (looking like a stove pipe) trapped between the bolt and the receiver frame. Hope this helps!!! ...Mark
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    On clearing jams:Very few shooters are motivated enough to practice clearing the different types of jams until they can identify the jam, clear it, and get back to business in under a second.Here is a procedure that will clear any jam, and you only have to remember one drill:TAP---INVERT---RACK1. Tap--Smack the magazine floorplate hard.2. Invert--Twist the shooting arm inward until the pistol is upside down.3. Rack--While the gun is still inverted, rack the slide all the way back and let it go without helping it along.The gun will now be clear and loaded. With some jams, a loaded round will fall on the ground, but in a gunfight, this is a small consequence.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally don't like that particular excercise alone, because of clearing double feed jams, it doesn't really work, because you might need a fresh magazine.Stove Pipes are really easy to idenify and clear while firing because you have a case blocking your front sight.When you gun goes click, it should just be instinctive to slam and rack, no point in inverting, a dud cartridge will be extracted and ejected.And double feed are obvious because you slide won't go forward and you don't have a case in your sight picture so you know its not a stove pipe.Sgt. Hammock taught me these, he's the firearms instructor at the sheriffs acadamy here, and he's been to all kinds of acadamies, from gunsite to thunderranch.The only reason I don't like the inverting of the gun is because your gun is off target an it takes you longer to gain your sight picture back compared to the method I use.
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about when the shell fails to extract from the chamber? That happened with my G22 one time. The empty casing was stuck in the chamber. It took me quite a few attempts to get it out.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com