In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Two-eyed Iron sighting?

leadrollerzleadrollerz Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
edited May 2002 in Ask the Experts
I'd like some of your thoughts on "Tips and Techniques" for shooting handguns with both eye's open.
How do you train yourself to do this?
This was once explained to me as keeping both eye's open and turning your head until the bridge of your nose blocks out your "non-shooting" eye. This I have practiced, and is hard to learn and does not feel like a natural shooting position. I've also read that in an actual CQB with handguns you just point and shoot. Yes, at close quarters that is about all the time you have, but I see guy's at the range and at competitions shooting both eye's open at various ranges through Iron sights.
What's the seceret?

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    PRACTICE...PRACTICE...PRACTICE....No discussion or thoughts.....Just PRACTICE...PRACTICE...PRACTICE....! Best...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    Capt'n Kirk has it spot-on; you need to practice... a lot. Everyone has a dominant eye, which is usually on the same side as their dominant hand. For inexperience handgun shooters both are involved in the training. You can train to shoot with your non-dominant hand/eye. The trick is to gain control of what your "mind" sees & uses to align the sight picture. The earlier in your shooting career you can learn to do this the better; it only gets harder with age as your eye control muscles lose their youthful ability to refocus quickly from near to far focus & back. Some folks find using empty eyeglass frames, with a piece of cellophane tape blurring the non-dominant eye's view, helpful in getting both eyes to cooperate. Keep in mind too that it helps to practice "natural point of aim:" bring your pistol up to aim with your eyes closed (NO CARTRIDGES LOADED, PLEASE), then open your eyes & see what your sight picture is. If you're left or right of where you want to target, reposition your feet or twist at the waist instead of moving your arm to gain the desired point-of-aim. This way you avoid undue muscle fatigue & gain better control on your aimpoint.