In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How do I identify excessive cleaning wear?

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have heard people say that they have seen this or that type of gun at a show and passed on it due to excessive cleaning wear. How do I identify excessive cleaning wear? What does it look like? How often is too often to clean a rifle/handgun? I clean them every time they are out to the range, even if they are only fired 5 times. I would hate to think I have been over-cleaning and damaging my bores. Someone please clear this up before I destroy my custom stainless barrels!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, what are your choices of the best bore guides? I usually hold my hand in a cup around the rod and can effectively hold it away from the muzzle (on semi's that i don't break all the way down, bolts are always cleaned from chamber end).

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    A: LOOK AT THE MUZZEL, THE RIFLING SHOULD BE SHARP RIGHT TO THE CROWN B: IF POSSIBLE LOOK AT THE ORIGIN OF RIFLING AHEAD OF THE CHAMBER SHOUL ALSO BE SHARP (A BORE PRISM WOOKS WELL FOR THIS). CLEANING: IF YOU CLEAN OFTEN ALWAYS USE A BORE GUIDE (OK, YOUR FINGERS). IN REAL LIFE THERE IS NO REASON TO CLEAN MORE OFTEN THAN EVERY SEVERAL HUNDRED ROUNDS (CENTER FIRE),(I CAN HEAR THE SMALL GROUP SHOOTERS GETTING THE LINCH ROPE READY). WITH .22 L.R ONCE A YEAR IS MORE THAN ENOUGHT (ALSO ASSUMING YOU ARE NOT A SMALL GROUP SHOOTER). THIS APPLIES TO NONCORROSIVE AMMO ONLY.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I understand, and it ain't much, having your gun wear from excessive cleaning would be when you don't use the right screwdrivers and you ding up the screws, or over tighten them and strip them. Or when you wear off areas of finishing from taking it apart so much. Or when certain components are worked loose from excessive removal.

In quality firearms this can easily be avioded, by simply learning to properly dissasemble and clean your firearm. But some cheap guns are just that, cheap, and aren't intended for long term use, and when you take them apart abunch, stuff breaks or wears.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !