In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

condition of barrell

dchristiandchristian Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in Ask the Experts
Often, when I am at a gun show or in a gun shop, I would like to check the condition of the barrell of a gun, is there a tool that will allow me to do this cheaply?
Thanks,
dchristian

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For .30 cal rifles like the M1, M14 & M1903, I use a muzzle wear gauge available from Scott Duff. Many of us use a round of USGI ball ammmo & see how far the bullet goes into the muzzle, but that is not precise.

There is one company that makes a bore scope that uses fiber optics that allows you inspect the entire inside of the barrel, but that is expensive. I just one of the bent plexiglass rods that sells for $1-2 at most gun shows.

Neal
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nmeyers covered all the bases. I use the bent plexiglass rod as well, however, mine came with a rubber sleve attached to it that slips over a small flashlight that it came with. So, when you turn on the light, it lights up the WHOLE BORE. Browning sells them, but they are not made by browning. These are waterproof/submersable lights made by Pelican industries. The same company that makes those black/orange/or yellow plastic cases that you see cameras, electronics, etc etc etc in that have the purge valve on them. Check the net for pelican or try a Boater's World if you have one near by, that's where I got mine. Lots cheaper than a bore scope!!!!

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    erictheredericthered Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats one of my peeves. People almost always leave the barrel
    dirty, so I carry a cleaning rod in my case. A bore light and a bullet of the caliber you are buying is a good idea.
    Just see how it fits a rifle you know is new.
    My experience is that it is amazing how little a bullet will
    fit into a good barrel. It almost seems like it couldn't possibly
    shoot it out of there. My 3006s' and 308s' are all that way.

I tend to do things the cheaper way.
    I guess a micrometer with ID guage would solve the problem.
    They make an ID guage that you adjust to fit the barrel or any
    tube ID, then you measure it with your Micrometer. This would
    be found in machine shop tools and may be cheaper than getting a
    specific guage for weapons. It would also reach deeply enough inside
    a flash suppressor. They are several inches long, like a ball point pen, if I remember correctly from my machine shop days.
    Eric

thats'me