In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

not sure what to do?

RayWhiteRayWhite Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited May 2002 in Ask the Experts
I just recieved 10 guns from my father's will. I would like to sell them but am not sure in how to go about doing so and what price would be fair to ask for each? Could anyone give some advice?

Comments

• Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some honest advice would be not to sell them, but to keep them a little longer, they are a great investment. Also you need to list exact details of each one so we will know what to look up, if your interested in current market value

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    PiadeaPiadea Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ray, first of all go buy a copy of Gun Values. Do a search on GB and see what other people are asking for the gun in similar condition. And last of all, unless you need the money, why sell them at all??
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are able to provide a listing and brief description of each firearm various members of this forum will provide you with aprox value. It may take a little time on your part to catalog but should prove worthwhile if you want to obtain information and aprox value.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ray: First of all check your state and local laws and make sure that YOU do not need such a thing as a Firearms Identity Card to have and/
    or sell them. Some states such as NJ have this fool law and possibly
    others.. Inside the state sales are not usually difficult. However
    in interstate shipment for sales check out carefully. Usually only
    to a FFL dealer for transfer. You recieved some good advise about
    holding them, as guns usually appreciate, not depreciate. In fact
    some of us buy them for a future investment instead of stocks. You
    might put a few up for value (?) with ser. #, make, model, guage or
    caliber and sight type, and condition. A lot of the guys here have
    knowhow as to value and will help you.
  • Options
    bullelkbullelk Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone's right with their advise Ray. You must have some interest in guns or you probably wouldn't be on this forum.
    One thing about guns, their value rarely goes down.
    I'll bet there's a lot of guys on the forum that are kicking themselves in the * for selling some. There are a few I sold, that I wish I had now. All in all, weigh everything out before you get rid of them, who knows you might like them, or you may kick yourself in the * someday.
    Gino

"If All Else Fails, Read The Directions"
  • Options
    lazywallruslazywallrus Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im not trying to make you feel bad, but I sure hope my son doesnt sell my guns when I die. I hope he takes care of them, hunts with them and passes the guns and the memories down to his son........

O'well I guess Im just the sentimental type.......Lazy
  • Options
    gundummygundummy Member Posts: 254
    edited November -1
    I would make a list, take it to a bookstore and look it all up in a blue book like "Blue Book of Gun Values" by S.P. Fjestad. The begining of the book explains how to rate it's condition. At least you will have somekind of idea of their worth so someone can't talk you into selling it for $100 when it's really worth $10,000. That's IF you HAVE TO sell them for whatever reasons you may have. If you don't have to sell them, buy a safe (if you did not get one) and put them all away because some of that steel may turn into gold one day.
    GD
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF (and I do say "IF") you decide to go with a gun dealer, do NOT go with a person that you do not know. Make sure you get a good recommendation and deal only with a reputable person or he may give a mega-low ball price "just to help you out."

I'm with the others who have said, don't sell them unless you have no other option.

Sorry to hear of your father's passing. When my own father died 41 years ago, my mother said the guns HAD TO GO and called a gun dealer. He ripped us off big time! My dad did have 400 guns ... so the guy is probably still bragging about it and having the laugh of his life. I'm not laughing, but I have made peace with God.

Ken
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Pay Heed....You've gotton some GOOD advice.....I wish you well....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff