In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who can surface harden rifle barrels and parts?

LanceLance Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
edited May 2002 in Ask the Experts
Several knife manufacturers offer AISI 440/420 series martensitic steels with a Titanium Nitride surface. Some of these surfaces are flat black or charcoal gray. Some are gold color.

Clearly, the core hardness of blades finished with TiN is not affected by the process. Or nitriding temperature is planned for during manufacture. And the temperature for nitriding seems to be well above the 700, or so, degrees F. at which 400 series stainless steels are tempered.

Please identify who can TiN finished gun parts without ruining the heat treat. If this is not possible, then who can TiN gun parts with a restoration of heat treat?

If any of my details of nitriding are in error, don't worry about it. This is not the place to get into what is involved for the nitrider. How he does his job is his business, not mine.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TiN and TaN are both done in a vacuum chamber, While the plasma gas is quite hot, the parts being treated stay fairly cool (under 300 deg, if memory serves).
    That should ease your mind somewhat.
    Go to your local libary and ask to see their "Thomas Regester Catalog" or find the TRC on the net, look up TiN coaters in there.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.