In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

weatherby mark V deluxe

wiser1wiser1 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a 300mag. Iwas reacently looking at new scopes. When the salesman at the gun shop told me.I shuold not buy ascope and should sell the gun.Due to the fact that weatherbys are known to having problems whith accuracy. And holding a constant zero.Is this true or is he full of it.This gun is bramd new amd never been fired.

Comments

• Options
    treedawgtreedawg Member Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have never had any problems with my weatherby's. i'll bet the the gun can shoot better than most people are capable, atleast that's that's the case with all my weatherbys.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 300WM puts the first two or three shots within the space of a dime at 100 yds. Where the fourth goes is another story. It is often 3 - 4 inches out.

This is not a rifle meant for shooting long strings as the barrel gets very hot after the first two or three shots and in my experience the groups open up considerably.

I have been told that the barrel life of a Weatherby is approximately 1000 - 1500 rounds which may be another factor to consider if you are buying or shooting a used Weatherby.

Make sure you get a good scope as the recoil will tear up cheaper scopes.
  • Options
    pigeoncreek1pigeoncreek1 Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wiser,

I own 5 Weatherby rifles and they all shoot under an inch at 100 yards..In fact, weatherby guarantees 1.5" or better at 100 yds with factory ammo...also, rsnyder brings up a very important point, those hefty powder charges create alot of heat, some of my guns will begin stringing the shots after 3 or 4. If you make a practice of putting alot of rounds through it while the barrell is hot,you will do nothing but burn it up while shooting sub par groups! I will sight the gun in(no more than 3-4 shots at a time, without letting the barrell cool down), and then go to the range and shoot one shot out of a cold barrell the next day before I take it hunting. Also, another good point is the scope, stick with Leupold, Nikon, Burris and the like, that recoil can really mess with a cheap scope...

I think the salesman wants to take this gun off of you...cheaply, don't believe it...In my opinion, the 300WM is one of the most versatile calibers out there, If I had to have one gun for taking North American game, this would be it...Good Luck!

Gun control is hitting your target
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im not a weatherby fan, but I own two of them. Have never had a problem keeping the scope lined up. One hasnt been shot for about two years and I wouldnt be afraid to say its still dead on. As far as accuracy goes they can shoot better than me.
    Hope this helps.

Rugster
  • Options
    bullelkbullelk Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wiser,
    Where was your Weatherby made? Maybe the salesman wanted to get it from you?
    Gino

"If All Else Fails, Read The Directions"