In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Long range 30-06 varmint load

poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good 300+ yard handload in 30-06, mostly for use on woodchucks? (I'm thinking about buying one of the newer, hotter calibers but I thought I'd pick up some components at the gun show tommorrow and try out my Rem 700 before investing in a new gun and reloading another caliber.) Thanks, posh

Comments

• Options
    rrfhunterrrfhunter Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, it's simple. Buy some 30 caliber accelerator sabots for $7.00 off this site and a box of .224 bullets and load 'em up. They come with the load data and you get something like 4500 fps out of a 30/06! Think about it, a 55 grain bullet with the case capacity of a 30/06.....

....I never met a gun I didn't like!
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nosler 150 gr Partition bullet with 59 grains of IMR4350. Will chrono at 3000 fps or so. Very accurate but will drift some in high cross wind at long distances (like evrything else). Be safe, verify ALL load data with a manufacturer before loading. Good luck on the woodchuck's!!! RG
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't loaded 30/06 light bullet loads for years but when I did, the horn 130 gr with imr4064 or the speer 125gr with same or imr4895 did the best for me. Check out the gun show for either of these or maybe some rem 125 gr.

Mobuck
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the shopping list, posh.
  • Options
    binderbinder Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what cost you think is high. I picked up a couple of cases of Ultramax (30-06)-110 grain reloads ( about $5.50 a box in case lot)from (www.jerryssportcenter.com), and have been putting them thru my 20" barreled steyr 06, at 300 yards, and have been very happy with the reselts. They are not as fast as the Accelerators mentioned above. But I have been playing with these out to past 400 yards, and they hit the mark, just fine. Other folks have been trying to get me to look at 220 swift and 22-250, but I have the 30-06, here and now.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    The most accurate .30-06 round at 300 yards is the 168 gr Sierra BT Match over 60.2 gr of W760 Should hold within MOGH (Minute of Ground Hog)

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis